Clearance for Microwaves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife said we needed a new microwave, as old one had rust where the wheels of the turntable ran, because the kitchen was designed for the disabled the wall cupboards are mounted lower than normal, so it was a case of carefully measuring the gap, and going around the shops until we found one with stainless steel inside so paint will not wear off again, and low enough to squeeze under the wall cupboards.

At last we found one, Tesco special import, Breville BRGM2316 23 litre with Grill, we will never use the grill, it was size, and having stainless steel inside that made us get it.

However on getting home we finally got the instructions, it states 30 cm clearance on top of it, now since not using the grill I would not think this is really required, no vents in the top, it is a tight fit as was the last one.

Even in our own house I have seen all sorts placed on the Microwave it's a flat surface, so it gets used, I have never had a problem with a microwave as a result. But 12 inches is a large space, and nothing on the advert, only when you get the instructions does it tell you.

Thoughts please.

Sponsored Links
I tend to agree with you Eric especially if there are no vents in the top. Even if you had a problem & had to make a warranty claim how could they prove you had put something on top of it. Probably just a cover all instruction

I qualified as a Sharp Microwave engineer, and would agree that as long as the air vents are not blocked there will not be a problem, convection and grill types do get warm but should never get hot if they are to pass safety standards tests.

Eric,
"30 cm clearance on top of it" - if that was true that would mean that for most people their Ketchup bottles that they had placed on the top of the microwave would melt! :>
SFK

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks you have confirmed what I thought, I will not use the grill, mainly as one in oven is better, the ketchup bottle is just what I was thinking, I know my wife will use any surface not already used, lucky she has not found the pull out work surface under the oven, or I would never be able to put it away again.

Thanks you have confirmed what I thought, I will not use the grill, mainly as one in oven is better, the ketchup bottle is just what I was thinking, I know my wife will use any surface not already used, lucky she has not found the pull out work surface under the oven, or I would never be able to put it away again.
The biggest problem here is that Mrs ericmark reads the forums.
Oops better get the cordless drill out and remove that pull out surface post haste

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back