Clearing all network log-ins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Just acquired PC from work which was set up on Windows 2000 network.
Does anyone know how I can clear all users and log-ins that where required on the company intranet and make it a stand alone PC with no log-on or admin rights.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Select Control Panel, System, click on the Network Identification tab, and click the Properties button.

Does the setting indicate that the PC is part of a domain?

If so, change it to be Workgroup instead.

w2knet20.gif

If the PC has local user accounts that you don't need, then delete them (Control Panel->Users and Passwords).

Thanks Softus

I deleted the computer name from the registry b4 getting your reply and cannot get the PC to boot to desktop as it is currently stuck on applying security policy. Any ideas on hoew to get round this?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Well, I put my own time into answering your first question. As a result of your impatience it seems that my efforts were utterly wasted, so you'll forgive me if I leave you to someone who can be ars*d.

Softus time delay in responses...
Anyway... I did what you suggested and I have now lost the PC altogether, as it is saying the winnt/system32/config/system file is corrupt or missing and I can't do anything with it apart from remove the power.
Any ideas or does anyone know how to format C: without losing op system and drivers?

Cheers

nowtaboutnowt said:
Softus time delay in responses.
I've no idea what you mean by that, but kindly stop addressing posts to me, for the reason I gave earlier.

nowtaboutnowt said:
Softus time delay in responses...
Anyway... I did what you suggested and I have now lost the PC altogether, as it is saying the winnt/system32/config/system file is corrupt or missing and I can't do anything with it apart from remove the power.Any ideas or does anyone know how to format C: without losing op system and drivers?

Cheers

Changing it to a workgroup, wouldn't produce that error, however, editing the registry, as you did, could quite possibly do it. I assume you took a registry backup before doing the edit?

I can understand why Softus is frustrated. You asked a question, but didn't wait for advice before jumping in.

If you format the system drive, you will lose everything on it.

I restored the pc to an earlier version after doing the registry changes and was fine (which was only renaming the machine). It was when I did the changes Softus suggested that after reboot the pc is not working and brings up the winnt/system32/config/system file is corrupt or missing.
The pc is just frozen 5 seconds after boot up looking for this file.

No I didn't take a reg backup.

Cheers :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Think it may be wise to get a copy of the Win 2000 media from work and run a repair. Make sure you have the administrator password also.

nowtaboutnowt said:
I restored the pc to an earlier version after doing the registry changes and was fine (which was only renaming the machine). It was when I did the changes Softus suggested that after reboot the pc is not working and brings up the winnt/system32/config/system file is corrupt or missing.
The pc is just frozen 5 seconds after boot up looking for this file.

No I didn't take a reg backup.

Cheers :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what the rolling eyes is all about. The message relates to a damaged registry hive, which could indicate other underlying system problems, such as hard disk errors.

If it were me, I would run a scan disk from the recovery console with the /r switch to determine if this was the case. As Doc mentions above, you will need the installation media. The admin password is fairly easy to reset it you haven't got it and your admins are not prepared to supply it.

nowtaboutnowt said:
Jesus... You got out of the wrong side of bed this morning...!
Maybe I did, so, after a rest and a few deep calming breaths, I thought I'd come back and read your posts again.

Nope - no difference. You're still too stupid to be editing the registry.

I think you are being a bit harsh here and now downright rude! I can understand someone being impatient to try things and from my experience on forums you can wait ages to get some replies if at all.

Sponsored Links
Back