3Com ADSL Wireless Network (Wandering)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have a 3Com OfficeConnect Wireless Router with an 3Com Wireless USB Adapter set up on our system at home. Security protocols are set up.

Up until a few weeks ago had no problems at all, now the pc keeps logging onto another Wireless network which has been setup near my house and is not protected, this is causing many problems and last night the pc froze and had to be restarted. The security of our network has not been a problem, but having to reconnect to the modem router when it goes for this little walk is a real pain.

Is there anyway I can send this user a message to contact me so I can advise them to lockdown their system, or lock my system so it will only look for our modem.

Thanks for any help

Salem.

Sponsored Links
Do you use the 3Com software to connect to your router or windows built-in application?

If you don't know, go to network connections, right click on the 3Com USB adapter, select 'view available wireless networks'

If it says 'windows cannot connect.... if you have enabled another connection... etc' ....then the 3Com software is running the show.

There will be an option in there to select order of networks and set a default. Open the 3com utility and have a 'nosey around' (proper technical term) :cool:

Hi Deluks, and thanks for your reply.

Yes, we are using the 3Com Connect Utility. On the "Site Survey" page it lists several Networks in the area, but it ignores all the secure ones and keeps trying to connect to the open one. Our network in set as the primary setup, but there is no option for setting as default.

Would it be better to use XP to control the connection?

Salem.

IMHO, the 3Com utility is not so good. I prefer to use the XP client when setting up wireless devices.

Sponsored Links
Igorian said:
IMHO, the 3Com utility is not so good. I prefer to use the XP client when setting up wireless devices.

Is it easy to set up, and should I remove the 3Com Utility first. All security passwords are stored to mem-stick.

Salem.

It is, but that obviously depends on your knowledge of Windows. You could try the Wireless Setup Wizard:

Start>All Programs>>Accessories>Communications>Wireless Setup Wizard

I would remove the utility first, you can always add it again if you run into difficulties.

Back