Hidden network

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been sorting out a wireless network connection for my Aunt's ADSL broadband and the Router's wireless network can only be detected when the router is set to broadcast the SSID otherwise, the USB wireless dongle can't tune to the network.

Using WPA2 security.

I assumed that if a wireless profile was set up on a PC or laptop, it could tune itself to a hidden wireless network if the SSID and security WPA2 key matched?

Router is a DLink DSL-2640R

Sponsored Links
Is the wireless profile definitely being saved on the laptop/PC? Once it has been setup and saved, it should definitely be able to reconnect even if the SSID isn't being broadcast - that's why the option to turn it off exists as a basic security feature.

Thanks for that kbdiy.

Using Windows XP, once I set up the initial wireless connection, I check in Network settings for available wireless profiles and the one I created had been saved.

SSID broadcasting, the network is found.

SSID not broadcasting, the network isn't found.

Possible wifi dongle fault?

Sponsored Links
Hiding an SSID in a residential situation prevents the average neighbor attempting to use your wireless network as they can't see it in their list of available networks.

Not everyone is a hacker however I'm not an IT network expert so would have to bow to superior knowledge.

Hiding an SSID in a residential situation prevents the average neighbor attempting to use your wireless network as they can't see it in their list of available networks.

The average neighbour doesn't know your passphrase.

Nor can they see my wireless network.......... added security.

Sponsored Links
Back