Clearing other side of boundary fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I live in a house in a row of houses that back on to a field, our garden fence is at the boundary. The field owner has let the land on the other side of the fence grow wild (they have put a fence a few metres which is essentially the boundary of the "usable" field)

What right do I have to clear the overgrowth on the field side of the fence? My neighbour says we have the right to clear 1 metre, if the owner hasn't done it, but I'm dubious about that and haven't yet found anything official to support it.

The field has recently changed hands and I hope we can establish a mutually agreeable way to manage this, but it would be useful to know what my rights are.

Any insight appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it were annoying me or blocking my view. I would deal with it, either, cut it back or weed killer.
Should the owner approach you, apologise.

We have a field on 3 sides, all wild and wonderful. Just enjoy and appreciate it, be grateful it's not houses or worse.

If they don't want it then that could be an opportunity to buy it. It shouldn't take more than a few grand plus fees, but be aware that it can't become garden without planning permission.

Sponsored Links
Some people might use a lawn weedkiller spray. You have to take care to prevent the spray drifting beyond your property.

If the field is used for livestock do not use chemicals.

They might even be getting some sort of grant/subsidy for leaving the strip of land to nature

We have a field next to us with hedging all round, except for section that runs past our garden.
A few years ago, a farmer leased it from the council to graze his sheep on it. The section outside our garden had become overgrown with nettles so I asked if we could cut them down so the sheep could come nearer. Depth of nettles was about 2 -3 metres, so when he fed the sheep down the far side, I nipped under the barbed wire with my strimmer and cut them all back. After 3 years he moved the sheep to another field but kept the field for hay growing. I continued to keep the weeds at bay and eventually grass started growing. I still take my mower through, (I got shut of the barbed wire for the safety of the grandkids and put a ranch style fence in it's place with a small gate foe access), and now, when you look across the lawn it seems to extend into the field.
Have a word with the owners and ask if they would mind you keeping the space clear in an effort to stop weeds encroaching into your garden. The worst he can do is tell you no.

We have cows around us. Our old fence was flimsy, so they'd put barbed wire beyond, with about a metre of weeds between. It looked like it was keeping us in, like a prison camp. I talked to them, found out the sort of fence they would be happy with so wouldn't need anything else and put traditional wooden farm fences in. Now the cows can eat right up to the fence, don't mind them leaning in and eating the odd garden plant, we just have to be careful it's all non-toxic. They like a rub on the head too, got my head licked while gardening once.

We have a field next to us with hedging all round, except for section that runs past our garden.
A few years ago, a farmer leased it from the council to graze his sheep on it. The section outside our garden had become overgrown with nettles so I asked if we could cut them down so the sheep could come nearer. Depth of nettles was about 2 -3 metres, so when he fed the sheep down the far side, I nipped under the barbed wire with my strimmer and cut them all back. After 3 years he moved the sheep to another field but kept the field for hay growing. I continued to keep the weeds at bay and eventually grass started growing. I still take my mower through, (I got shut of the barbed wire for the safety of the grandkids and put a ranch style fence in it's place with a small gate foe access), and now, when you look across the lawn it seems to extend into the field.
Have a word with the owners and ask if they would mind you keeping the space clear in an effort to stop weeds encroaching into your garden. The worst he can do is tell you no.
Didn't the nettles grow back?
I had to pull the damn things out, kicking and screaming, by the roots.

Didn't the nettles grow back?
I had to pull the damn things out, kicking and screaming, by the roots.
Repeated mowing will kill almost everything, except plants that have evolved to succeed low or flat, like lawn weeds.

Repeated mowing will kill almost everything, except plants that have evolved to succeed low or flat, like lawn weeds.
Aye, maybe, but i had the same problem as Conny and couldn't mow ovr the wall in the field beyond so pulling, cutting, chopping, cursing and spraying were the only way to deal with the stingy swine.

Leaving the roots in just encourages them to come back, so strimming them is only a temporary measure. Spraying the leaves ends their quest for world domination.

Is the field a Pony/Horse paddock? Post a photo if you can. A fence away from the hedge does seem to indicate that; If they still keep horses in there then they should (shall, must) keep the area between the hedge and the fence under control - i.e short grass rather than weeds. Other plant life is not good for horses.

Use regular sprays of white vinegar/water mix (google it) to kill off what's there.
It won't harm any animals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back