Clicking noises from cenral heating pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. For a while I had clicking noises coming from the pipework that sounded as if it was coming from upstairs. I have recently decorated upstairs and while I had a small section of floorboard up I noticed that some of the pipes running across a joist were loose so I pinned them down and two in one of the bedrooms supplying the radiator in there were as loose, so they too were pinned down. I used the plastic pipe clamps to secure them, but the noise is still there. I have subsequently replaced two of the upstairs radiators, flushed the system with a system cleaner, drained the system down again, added an inhibitor, refilled and bled the system and still the noise is there, albeit not as bad as before. My boiler is a Worcester combination CDI around 16 years old and has been serviced, although not every year. Can anyone offer any advice as regard to why the pipes are clicking and a cure? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Common problem due to expansion fixing them will not help (might even make it worse) you need to identify the places it is rubbing the joists and slip a bit of felt insulation in to cushion the pipe.

This stuff, most plumbers sell it cheap as chips! ;)

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Felt-Pipe-Sleeving-Pack-3/p/210456

Otherwise ignore it and think of it as a reassuring noise that means the heating is working well. ;)

Hi footprints! Thanks for your advice. Should I remove the clips I pinned down the two lots of pipes that were loose with and replace them with the stuff you told me about? I know it is hard to determine where the noise is coming from, but it does sound as if it is in the loft where the boiler is situated on the wall. I've sat up there and tried to find out where the noise is coming from but it is not easy as you probably already know! It may help you to help me if I tell you that the upstairs pipework is under the floorboards, while the downstairs pipework is above the floors fastened to the skirting boards because the floors downstairs are solid.

Yes hard to pin it down I certainly would not fix any pipes that are supported by joists, just slit a bit of felt and fold it over wherever it touches.

It might help to pin it down if you turn off the downstairs rads and see if the noise is still there it might pin it down to the upper or lower pipe work.

Is it a combi boiler?

Sponsored Links
Yes hard to pin it down I certainly would not fix any pipes that are supported by joists, just slit a bit of felt and fold it over wherever it touches.

It might help to pin it down if you turn off the downstairs rads and see if the noise is still there it might pin it down to the upper or lower pipe work.

Is it a combi boiler?

Yes it is Worcester combi. It works well considering it's age, but the pipes clicking is annoying to say the least! I have had all the rads closed off and with the heating just running through the pipes, the noise was still there. I thought it might have been one of the radiators, but shutting them all off seemed to disprove that. I think I'm in for a long haul trying to locate just where the pipes are moving but at least I can have the heating on and just in time for the coming Winter! I appreciate your help..

Good luck with it, best bet is to start by lifting the loft boards and doing every joist, try running with the boards up it might be a board pressing down on the pipe, it can also be where it comes up through a floor board or down through a ceiling.
Hope you track it down :D

Good luck with it, best bet is to start by lifting the loft boards and doing every joist, try running with the boards up it might be a board pressing down on the pipe, it can also be where it comes up through a floor board or down through a ceiling.
Hope you track it down :D

Cheers and thanks for all your help/advice! I appreciate you taking the time to reply. All the best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back