Client threatening legal action - electrical work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

A client has asked us to do a full rewiring of his house. At the start of the job we found out that the installation was for a wireless system which is controlled by wireless switches. We have now completed the installation and someone is coming to do the commissioning. The client is now expecting us to do the programming of the controls which could take couple of hours but knowing the client it could take a couple of days.

Would you say that since we did the installation we are responsible to do the programming or can I tell the client that we are not? - which I did but he now threatens legal action (he is a lawyer himself)

Many thanks

Moiced

Sponsored Links
BS7671:2008 states that a certificate shall be prepared. The model form (1) used for the initial verification requires the work for which you are responsible for to be agreed with the client and the extent of that work be recorded. This covers your a behind incase of any variations in the clients change of mind.

If this arrangement wasn't laid out on the table before you began the job then you have to make a decision.

One will keep your good name the other will make your life easier.
Legally it seems there are no solid footings for either side.

In other words, what did the written contract between both parties actually spell out? You did have a written contract, didn't you?.......

Thanks for the replies.

Our contract says

Complete rewiring of the flat including fuseboard and certification

We have done the installation and will have the installation certified.

There is no mention in the contract of programming the installation to the client's requirements.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It has to be said that it was rather foolish of you to know that you were to be installing these switches, yet not agree where responsibilities lie for programming them.

If someone is coming to carry out 'commissioning', exactly what does their job entail? If they leave the client in a situation where they are able to operate their lighting, I can't see a problem. It would be extremely naive of the client to expect you to program scenes into the controllers for them.

If, between you and the commissioning chap, you leave the client with an installation that is completely unusable to the point where the lights can't even be turned on, then I think you would be in the wrong. I find it hard to believe that could be the case, mind, as you wouldn't have been able to carry out functional tests.

Your contract would provide testing and certification. That includes a FUNCTIONAL test.

That is why (for most items like this) there are usually two bits of paper.
One is called "Installer Instructions" That is for you and this usually includes a functional test.
The other is called "user instructions" and that tells the USER how to customise the FACTORY SETTINGS so that the item works in the way that HE wants.

Usually, as part of my service to a customer, I would give them a quick run through and leave them to it. Anything else is £££££££.

Tell the client, he'll probably want to get his grandson to visit and help program the wireless switches. after all kids are great with modern technology. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

It has to be said that it was rather foolish of you to know that you were to be installing these switches, yet not agree where responsibilities lie for programming them.

Careful :D You don't want to be verging into being abusive :D

But this is an easy thing to resolve. Do you ever expect to install this type of system again? If yes then the experience will be good and could be a selling point in the ever modernising world of technology.

Boots once did a survey and they discovered that if they had one unhappy customer they would tell 8 people, and those 8 would tell another 8 into an ever increasing dent into their sales. If you say "do one" to this fella is it going to affect you? Will he really pursue a shaky agreement?

A line from the Matrix:
"You already know what you are going to do, you just have to figure out why you decided to do it."

What do you feel like you are going to do?

good point by TTC, (edit: and Holmslaw)

Does the wireless system have two seperate sets of instructions?

If it does, carry out the 'installers' part and give him the 'user' part. JD ;)

As others have rightly said, it may be more of a PR excercise if you feel that more work may come from this guy. Just leaves you with a decision to make about whether you would want to get any more. :confused:

Ask the client if he'd expect his plumber to set the timers on a boiler control for him.

Would you be expected to tune someones telly in if you installed a ring main it was plugged into ??
DM

:rolleyes: :LOL:

Ask him if Harrods supply him with a case of Bollinger whenever he purchases a set of crystal flutes.

next.....

:cool:

Whenever I fit wireless switches (as rarely as possible) I always set them up so they operate as basic switches would, no special scene programming etc, I leave the instructions and if its a nice customer I will programme one or two with them, my rationale is it's their system, they need to know how to work it.

If they wanted more in depth programming that would cost extra for the extra time.

As long as the lights work, and by remote control, you've done your job - and if he's any good as a lawyer he will be far too busy working on paying cases to bother with this - if he threatens again call his bluff, say you'll go to court, he knows how much it will cost him in time effort and fees and for all he knows you could have an army of sparks willing to back you up.

Some clients are such t***s really its unbeleivable

good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back