Client threatening legal action - electrical work

Whenever I fit wireless switches (as rarely as possible) I always set them up so they operate as basic switches would, no special scene programming etc, I leave the instructions and if its a nice customer I will programme one or two with them, my rationale is it's their system, they need to know how to work it.

If they wanted more in depth programming that would cost extra for the extra time.

As long as the lights work, and by remote control, you've done your job - and if he's any good as a lawyer he will be far too busy working on paying cases to bother with this - if he threatens again call his bluff, say you'll go to court, he knows how much it will cost him in time effort and fees and for all he knows you could have an army of sparks willing to back you up.

Some clients are such t***s really its unbeleivable

good luck

Sponsored Links
Is there an echo in here?

How do you know the installation is operating correctly with no faulty equipment if you dont program the system and leave it up and running, surly you would not pay for something that was not left up and running???? Leaving a customer with a set of instructions is not good customer service, insaying this it does sound like hes rather a pain, buts he paying and a trip to the small claims will only cost him £60 and if he wins will cost you more than 2-3 hrs work.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for your replies.

We will be certifying the system/fuseboard to show that it is safe and complies with the regulations, as per the contract.

The lighting designer who designed and specified this wireless system will be commissioning it and has offered to do the programming for some ££££ on a daily rate.

The client claims that it is the electricians/our responsabiliy to do it, that he has checked with his lawyer (possibly bluff), and that he will not listen to our argument that "it is not in the contract and that he should use the lighting designer to do the programming if he is not willing to do it himself".

So a Lawyer has consulted his Lawyer? Hmmm sounds a bit fishy.
The lighting designer has offered to program the system for ££££'s and now the client expects you to do the same for F All.
I'd be telling him where to stick his lighting system. Believe me, he's got no illumination there. ;) ;) ;)

i have a reputation in electrical circles - mostly not to let me anywhere near it, but i will comment.

you are stuffed, even if you were not, a lawyer is not a person to upset, they can cost you money as a hobby should they decide to.

even if it takes several large whiskeys, if you have to do it, then i suggest you put on your best grin and do it in good grace. at least salvage something out of it.

we are living and learning.

good luck

You cannot install a system that is not functional, this issue should have been raised as soon as you knew about these switches, your contract is far to vague and open for misinterpretations. Programme the switches, have a slice of humble pie and get paid, go home and sleep at night without fear of court action or further reprocussions. Tough luck buddy but sometimes you have to just bite the bullet!

The guy is a bully, I bet he pulls this "I am a lawyer, work for free" routine with loads of trades.

While it is good advice not to go "toe to toe" with him. You might want to make sure you get a firm agreement on what is the endpoint now.

I would have a meeting with him, suggested to him in a letter and with purpose of coming to a settlement agreement.

Then I personally would want something from him. Payment on completion at least. Plus a testimonial would be nice.

Martin

Has the client specified how he wants this set up?

If not leave it set for standard on/off aa that is all he has asked for. If he argues ask him where and when he detailed what he wanted. If nothing else it will show him the weakness of his argument.

If he did tell you how it was to be set up at the time you quoted then you are on difficult ground

I would strongly argue that commissioning should include the setting up.

After all, what else is commissioning?

I would strongly argue that commissioning should include the setting up.

After all, what else is commissioning?

Chicken and egg !

Functional testing post commissioning shouldn't have to include hours of pandering to a client. When systems have multiple arrangements and can be tuned to lifestyle needs, how the hell will anyone installing the system know what the client wants ?

Only the client will know what they want, their wants may vary seasonally- winter lights, summer lights, sexy mood lights, reading lights etc.

For the system to work as intended the client needs to operate the system and be able to adjust and play without calling an engineer each time.

If I put in a CH programmer, I would expect to test basic function. I would not expect to revisit every time the client wants the on / off times changed.

Whoever commissioned the system should test functionality, offer the client a half hour 'show and tell' and then supply either a manufactures user guide or write one up if the installation is bespoke.

He can't answer at the moment.

He's working late to pay off the legal bill... :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back