Climate change questions

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Some people do love a doomsday story. I'll bet people spreading this fear are the same ones spreading false BS about vaccines.

Something that always puzzled me about coal, I could never imagine all those trees toppling over on top of each other & just laying there waiting for something to come along & cover them up. There's the last rotting remnants of an Oak stump in my woodland that I remember being significantly bigger from a boy.

It wasn't until quite recently that I learned all coal was laid in a period before approx 350 million years ago, before the fungi & enzymes that rot wood had evolved !

Well I thought it thought provoking . . .

Something that always puzzled me about coal, I could never imagine all those trees toppling over on top of each other & just laying there waiting for something to come along & cover them up. There's the last rotting remnants of an Oak stump in my woodland that I remember being significantly bigger from a boy.

It wasn't until quite recently that I learned all coal was laid in a period before approx 350 million years ago, before the fungi & enzymes that rot wood had evolved !

Well I thought it thought provoking . . .

Time ... the carboniferous period when most of the coal on earth was created, lasted 60 million years. If you dig down in a peat bog today, where decomposition is also almost stopped, you go back 5-10000 years in just a 5-10 metres. So, 10,000 years creates 10 metres of peat, 60 million years .... 6km of peat formation (not all at once in the same place, obviously). Then that is buried and crushed through plate tectonics and coal if formed under pressure and heat.

And, the process actually caused a massive depletion of CO2 in the atmosphere and we came close to global glaciation, which would probably have been the end of life for a very long time. We were lucky CO2 levels stayed high enough to avoid this.

60,000,000 years is a very long time. We've done a good job at burning a lot of that formation in the last 200 years.

Time ... the carboniferous period when most of the coal on earth was created, lasted 60 million years. If you dig down in a peat bog today, where decomposition is also almost stopped, you go back 5-10000 years in just a 5-10 metres. So, 10,000 years creates 10 metres of peat, 60 million years .... 6km of peat formation (not all at once in the same place, obviously). Then that is buried and crushed through plate tectonics and coal if formed under pressure and heat.

And, the process actually caused a massive depletion of CO2 in the atmosphere and we came close to global glaciation, which would probably have been the end of life for a very long time. We were lucky CO2 levels stayed high enough to avoid this.

60,000,000 years is a very long time. We've done a good job at burning a lot of that formation in the last 200 years.

I always thought that the decomposition rate in a peat bog is down to the Ph levels & the lack of oxygen. Cool, & thank you for setting me straight.

Are we talking about the same time period?

I concurr that lots of folk gets confused between the odd millions of years in the general timeline of history, but I think that the formation of coal is a whole eon away from the relatively modern phenomena known as "peat".

I always thought that the decomposition rate in a peat bog is down to the Ph levels & the lack of oxygen. Cool, & thank you for setting me straight.

Are we talking about the same time period?

I concurr that lots of folk gets confused between the odd millions of years in the general timeline of history, but I think that the formation of coal is a whole eon away from the relatively modern phenomena known as "peat".

It is, but coal is formed from peat. Lots and lots of peat over millions and millions of years. Basically, formed in a wet damp, cold environment when plants grow then don't decompose, and eventually get buried in the earth and turned to coal. Its a very long and slow process, too slow for our minds to really comprehend.

so if we achieve targets by importing goods from China we are just off shoring our carbon use.
To be precise, we are of-shoring our pollution production, but our consumption/use remains.
And of course crowing about how we have reduced our pollution emissions.

As usual, the graduated in f#ckall only look at the minuscule irrelevance of a nanoparticle to feel they're right.
In this case is 50 years, basically an instant in terms of earth life.
Try this:
View attachment 249219
It's an interesting diagram isn't it.
The amount of CO2 generally changed at a rate around 10ppm per million years. Slightly slower than the current rate of 10ppm of around 5 years.

As usual, the graduated in f#ckall only look at the minuscule irrelevance of a nanoparticle to feel they're right.
In this case is 50 years, basically an instant in terms of earth life.
Try this:
View attachment 249219
I really don't think you meant to post that - LOL
you have sort of blown all your own arguments clean out of the water.

Sponsored Links
Back