Climbing safely

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to access a flat roof on a regular basis for maintenance. I have been supplied with a dodgy ladder by my employer but feel i need something alot safer.

Does anyone know of a company that can visit my workplace, advise and supply me with a proper ladder? Also can i get hand rails to attach to the roof to help me as i get off and on a ladder?

Feel like i'm taking my life into my hands every time i go up there!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
are you talking about grassing your employer up to health and safety?

i should have a chat with your employer first and let him know of your safety concerns.

no, certainly not, get on very well with my employer. The last caretaker was happy going up and down this old ladder, but i don't feel safe.

He has asked me to look into buying some new equipment, he's happy to do this but wants to know what cost will be.

Theres a couple of factors you need to think about. (I'll assume you will keep using a ladder for now, less confusing!)

Do you want the ladder to stay there 24/7, in which case is there a security risk, or a risk of kids climbing up it?

Do you want to use a fixed vertical ladder, or will you be carrying light tools up, in which case a 75% angled one would be safer

Have you got the means to store a ladder safely onsite, eg a lockable garage, or a van that you can carry one to site with?

How highs the roof?

A couple of options along the ladder side of things, you could fix a secure anchor point to the top of the roof for tying the ladder into everytime you visit site.

Another one, i see a lot on work sites is the use of fixed vertical ladders, at the bottom of which is a padlockable metal plate (basically covers the first 8 or so rungs to stop anyone climbing the ladder without a lot of effort)

Not sure where to get them from, but hopefully its given you a couple of things to think about.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply Maxxy.

The roof is about the height of 4 guys (hope you can imagine what that is)! This might not sound that high, but i hate heights and the danger point for me is stepping off the ladder onto the roof and stepping on it to come back down again. Hence my question about some sort of rail i can grab on to.

The ladder is firmly against a wall at bottom, so no problem there.

Ladder is also a very narrow and slightly warped, which is a problem.

The new ladder will be stored on the premises along a wall on hooks and locked and taken out when i need it.

Yes i will have to carry tools up and down.

Kids live on the premises so can't have a fixed ladder. Anchors sound good, who would you suggest i call, a general builder?

if you are employed to do roof maintenance why do you need a builder?

your ladder should extend at least 3 rungs above the level at which you get off

deano34 said:
Thanks for your reply Maxxy.

The roof is about the height of 4 guys (hope you can imagine what that is)! This might not sound that high, but i hate heights and the danger point for me is stepping off the ladder onto the roof and stepping on it to come back down again. Hence my question about some sort of rail i can grab on to.

The ladder is firmly against a wall at bottom, so no problem there.

Ladder is also a very narrow and slightly warped, which is a problem.

The new ladder will be stored on the premises along a wall on hooks and locked and taken out when i need it.

Yes i will have to carry tools up and down.

Kids live on the premises so can't have a fixed ladder. Anchors sound good, who would you suggest i call, a general builder?

An anchor point would basically be a metal bar fixed in place that the top of the ladder leans on (also helps to prevent damage to the building) and you then tie the ladder to it with a rope the first time you climb up (without tools). This securely holds the top of the ladder and will stop it falling to either side.

If you dont already, you should always carry a mobile phone with you if your up on the roof on your own. Accidents can and do happen, and you wouldnt want to be screaming your lungs off hoping a passer by hears you.

Trying to find an image to show you what i mean. So far all i can find is cheesy advertisements!

But yeah, like breezer said, you should have 3 rungs above the point where it touches the roof. This is for a handhold. Make sure you do not put too much weight on this though, or itll cause a pivot point. In your case with the wall below holding the base of the ladder you'll be fine

A company policy we have is that we will always have two guys on site when doing roofing work.

breezer said:
if you are employed to do roof maintenance why do you need a builder?

I'm employed to various things as a caretaker. I am a painter and carpenter by trade and haven't had any experience of roofing as such, or climbing up the sides of large buildings. My main job on this roof is to keep it clear of muck and leaves, which i have to do twice weekly ........on a dodgy ladder.

http://www.roofedge.co.uk/safety.html

ok not the best of pictures, but the only one i can find - ive been looking for half hour!!

Scroll down the page to "h. ladder rest" This is the kind of thing im talking about. Your ladder will tie into stopping it from falling either way.

Be aware of the height you mount it at though, as if you are using a 2 or 3 piece ladder you need to ensure you are not lifting the top section off of the rest of the ladders as you tie it.

Yeah those are good, but awkward for carrying tools up. Also requires access off a seperate ladder or stepladder. You can get those that reach to the floor and have a lockable coverplate for the bottom half of the ladder

are you talking about grassing your employer up to health and safety?
the other option is for your employer to talk to them and they will advise on what he should be spending the money on to comply with the regulations and protect you from an injury.

Maxxy said:
Yeah those are good, but awkward for carrying tools up.
We have a rope and pulley on the side for carrying the tools up once you're up there.

but that needs 2 people.

how do you pull it up, and get stuff ff without letting go of the rope, snd don't say tie it up, and what happens if you forget something, 2nd person can just hook it on.

must be good fun going down though :LOL:

breezer said:
but that needs 2 people.
1 person can do this.
how do you pull it up, and get stuff ff without letting go of the rope, snd don't say tie it up, and what happens if you forget something, 2nd person can just hook it on.
There is a racket on the pulley which locked it one way then released it by unlocking the latch
must be good fun going down though :LOL:
A lot quicker though :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back