clocks

B

breezer

Have you remembered to put your clocks forward? (i moved mine from the back to the front of the house)

Sponsored Links
I turned on my new DAB tuner to get an accurate time to set my clocks. I found the cheapskates only update the time every 2 minutes so you need to sit and watch it until it changes if you want it accurate. :rolleyes:

For the first time since I owned it, my video failed to update itself; very confusing as up to the time of switching this on I always relied on the video.

My computer updated itself friday night. Very keen machine.

Sponsored Links
My car stereo used to update the clock automatically with the RDS time signal, but now I have a different stereo and it doesn't.

Just wondering, what are people's thoughts on the whole daylight-saving issue? Do you :
a) want to stop doing it,
b) love changing your clocks twice a year or
c) don't care either way?

Mine all updated automatically, including my watch..Phone didn't though!! :confused:

Regarding daylight saving..what a load of nonsense.

It "saves kiddies going to school in the dark"...Hello..It's bloody well dark in the afternoon then and just as damned dangerous....

What crap this is..

AdamW said:
Just wondering, what are people's thoughts on the whole daylight-saving issue? Do you :

love still having normal light in the evenings around 10.00 pm, instead, when not changing to Summer-time to light-up aroung 9.00pm :D
(That is during high summer, not now.)
I'm all in favour of having summer-time, hate the darker days.

And as for changing clocks, oh well, when the batteries wear down you have to change the clock to the right time also ;) or after (frequent) power cuts ;)

FWL_Engineer said:
Mine all updated automatically, including my watch..Phone didn't though!! :confused:

Regarding daylight saving..what a load of nonsense.

It "saves kiddies going to school in the dark"...Hello..It's b****y well dark in the afternoon then and just as damned dangerous....

What rubbish this is..

You are right here, in fact it could be said it is more dangerous really. People rush to get home at night whereas most people are in no rush to get to work in the morning. :LOL:

Didn't they used to say it was for farmers too?

The original thinking was that it helped farmers when introduced in 1915. It was supposed to help the war effort by making farmers more productive.

It was scrapped in 1919 after the end of hostilities, but then was reintroduced in April 1940 for similar reasoning...no-one had the brains to cancel in 1945 though, they were too busy getting ****ed and getting rid of Winnie!!

There was an experiment in the sixties (or maybe early seventies) to keep British Summer Time all year round. Postmen needed lights on their hats to read the envelopes. Children went to school with reflective bands so that people driving to work in total darkness were less likely to mow them down. I can't remember how long we had to put up with this shambles.

Meanwhile, many pointed out that we had effectively abolished Greenwich Mean Time so now nobody would know what time it was!

I like having the clocks go back an hour once a year. You get a lie-in for a few weeks afterwards without being late for school/work or you can blow it all on one late night party and not be dead on your feet in the morning. The snag of course is that you have to pay for it in advance, ie now.

On a slightly different tack, who else thinks that one week in the year should have an extra Sunday in it. Easter would be a good choice for this. What's the point? Simple; Christmas would be on the same day every year (I vote for Monday). In fact every fixed date event would be on the same day every year. Leap years would naturally get yet another eight day week to keep things right.

Are we the only nation (UK) in the world for the clock 1 hour adjustment?

masona said:
Are we the only nation (UK) in the world for the clock 1 hour adjustment?

No, of course not ;) UK is the only one (no, make that together with Portugal) to have the clocks changes at 1.00 am, the rest of Europese mainland has done that at 2.00 am.
(But being there is a 1 hour time-difference between here and ther, it all happende at the same moment ;)

Why do you ask ?

If we are the only nation, just thinking what the point of it!

breezer said:
Have you remembered to put your clocks forward? (i moved mine from the back to the front of the house)
i remembered at 11.30 last nite just as i was goin 2 bed. just aswell since i was at work at 8AM thismornin

i also had 2 change some clocks at work aswell. pity 1 is about 6M above ground level

Sponsored Links
Back