Close Board fence rails cannot stagger joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am installing a close board fence.

Installing against a small wall and not always possible to get posts at 180cm integers. This due to the differing width of the wall foundations in places and old post cement. I'm trying to get as close as possible to the 180cm and also trying to get a minimum of 3 posts in to support each 360cm fence rail. Am also going around bends in places following the wall so it's not possible to stagger the joints of the 2 fence rails.

Am fixing the rails to the face of the posts to get a finished fence that sits against the wall.

I believe that staggering the fence rail joints is desirable, has anyone any advice on what to do if I cannot manage this?

Sponsored Links
Am I missing something, why aren't you bolting the posts to the wall?

Hi sircerebus666,

I decided not to bolt to the wall because:

The previous wall and fence (bolted down) got blown down in the recent storms.

The detail on the top of the fence some bricks on end some not (don't know what this is called) doesn't allow for a neat finish if posts this close to the wall.

Also, even if I had bolted to the wall there are still the bends in the wall to contend with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back