Close-coupled vent and f&e pipe positions ?

pcr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would much appreciate a little advice. This is a typical fully-pumped system maybe 8 years old which has had a problem with air in the system from new.

The flow pipe from the boiler rises in the airing cupboard, first tee is the 22mm feed pipe, second is the 22mm vent, then the pump, followed by a 3-port mid-position valve. Now, according to what I read, the feed and vent pipes are the wrong way round in this arrangement.

Given that the two tees are only 8cm apart, is it likely that reversing them will make a significant difference ?

Thanks, pcr.

Sponsored Links
Are you having problems or is this just asked out of curiosity?

Can you post a pic of the airing cupboard showing the pipes (preferably labelled - use MS Paint)?

Thanks for the reply. The problem is that air has continually circulated the system from new, with no sign of any leaks. I am exploring the possibility that airated water is drawn into the system each time the pump starts. When the CH is on the air collects in a radiator, but for HW only the air seems to have no way out, apparently flowing staight past the vent pipe.

Will post picture when possible.

Sponsored Links
This is a family member's house, I will have to check, but I know it is a wall-mounted gas boiler by Neon.

Have you tried turning the pump to a lower setting? or you could use a MYSON airiator and alter the pipe work. The easist thing to do is change it to a sealed system and put in a expansion vessel, filling loop and overheat stat

From the Boiler the first 22mm Branch MUST be the VENT the 22mm Branch nearest the Pump MUST be the Cold feed otherwise the pump will suck air, sounds likew the feed & vent may require changing around ;)

swap them around as the cold feed will then stop the pump pulling air down the open vent.

openvent,coldfeed,pump,bypass,valves. ;)

for a simple problem this post has been banging on ALL DAY!! :rolleyes:

so am i wrong am i? do you think his pipework setup is correct?
No, his set up is wrong,But if we knew what boiler he has then we will be able to suggest doing away with the open vent and using the 22mm as a combined feed and vent providing any isolating valves are removed.

pcr Are you sure of the boiler make, never heard of Neon.If you want advice then a reply would come in handy!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back