Closeboard/Feather Edge Fence Panel Frames - what is it called?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought feather edge fence panels, didn't realise it's contractor's pack, side frames are missing. I'm not sure what is it called. Can anyone let me know what are these side frames called and where can I buy them? Please see attached image. The attached image is not my fence, it's only for illustration. Thanks.

Attachments

• Closeboard Panels.jpg
    Closeboard Panels.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 65
Sponsored Links
The piece across the top is a 'capping strip' and the pieces along the side to strengthen the panel are 'vertical joining strips', or battens in my vocabulary. Doubtless there's regional differences where someone calls it a cross-piece or summat weird like a frog and bubble strip.

The piece across the top is a 'capping strip' and the pieces along the side to strengthen the panel are 'vertical joining strips', or battens in my vocabulary. Doubtless there's regional differences where someone calls it a cross-piece or summat weird like a frog and bubble strip.
Did some search on Google, found piece of timber in the size I needed. They call it fence panel backrail. It's wider than I need so I'll cut it in half. I think it should fit for the purpose.

I think the panels you bought are for a 'continuous look' style of fence which have to be attached to posts in the ground.
It gives the look of someone installing long cross rails to the face of support posts, and then individually nailing the overlapping boards to the cross rails.

Sponsored Links
The one in your pic looks like it is intended to fit concrete slotted posts.

What size timber do you need?

I've used Tilers Batten in the past, which is treated, readily available, and quite cheap

Drilling pilot holes prevents splitting.

The one in your pic looks like it is intended to fit concrete slotted posts.
Yes exactly. This is what I need.
What size timber do you need?
Thickness 30mm, width enough to drill screw so may be 25mm - 30mm or so should be sufficient.
I've used Tilers Batten in the past, which is treated, readily available, and quite cheap

Drilling pilot holes prevents splitting.
Just checked battens most of them come in 25mm or 38mm thickness.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back