Closing off a gap between roofs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

Looking for some ideas on how to close the gap between my shallow pitch roof with planum interlocking tiles and my neighbours property, which has a flat roof partially above and partially below my roof - photo attached. I want to close it off to prevent rain/leaves etc getting through, but if a small amount of rain does get through it won’t be the end of the world because it can drain out at the bottom.

All through the design and construction the detail has been kicked down the line because it was too difficult. Alas now is the day of reckoning.

Any suggestions gratefully received

Attachments

• A0DF9840-D827-4838-A12A-DB5784AE8882.jpeg
    A0DF9840-D827-4838-A12A-DB5784AE8882.jpeg
    469 KB · Views: 83
Sponsored Links
Morning all,

Looking for some ideas on how to close the gap between my shallow pitch roof with planum interlocking tiles and my neighbours property, which has a flat roof partially above and partially below my roof - photo attached. I want to close it off to prevent rain/leaves etc getting through, but if a small amount of rain does get through it won’t be the end of the world because it can drain out at the bottom.

All through the design and construction the detail has been kicked down the line because it was too difficult. Alas now is the day of reckoning.

Any suggestions gratefully received
We usually concrete our 'silly gap' bottoms with a smooth sloping concrete surface, whilst the building is at DPC level. As we build upwards, we then lie a piece of hessian sacking on the floor to collect all the droppings, then drag it out when the mucky work is complete. Maybe you could do something similar with your leaves thing?

Thanks for the reply. I did the same in terms of the concrete laid to a fall and could get a tray along the bottom that I could remove periodically and clean, which would go the job. I was hoping to do something that was relatively maintenance free though

This has been done to death in the building forum.

This gap does not to be sealed to prevent from hypothetical problem, as in real life no such problems exist.

Sponsored Links
This has been done to death in the building forum.

This gap does not to be sealed to prevent from hypothetical problem, as in real life no such problems exist.
Apologies, haven’t seen those threads. My situation may be slightly different as I have a sips wall with breather membrane attached. If left the breather membrane will break down and expose the osb face to whatever is in the void. A small volume of moisture in the space isn’t my significant concern - I’m more concerned about preventing vermin getting to the osb, but to block off the bottom of of the void, I want to ensure rainwater isn’t going to collect behind any material that I use to close the vertical gap at low level.

Are you saying that you have an unprotected board as the outer face?

Well that's poor design. OSB will absorb moisture from the external air naturally and should not be exposed in that type of situation, even if you do seal the top of that void.

Sealing the top will still leave OSB vulnerable. I suspect that your least worst option is to ensure the void is through ventilated to prevent local humidity rising to impact the OSB.

Well that's poor design.

I don’t disagree

OSB will absorb moisture from the external air naturally and should not be exposed in that type of situation,

The osb is protected by a breather membrane. I want to protect the breather membrane
even if you do seal the top of that void.

Sealing the top will still leave OSB vulnerable. I suspect that your least worst option is to ensure the void is through ventilated to prevent local humidity rising to impact the OSB.

Agreed, the gap will still be ventilated

For leaves etc, its bit of mesh or fine chicken wire rolled to a cylinder which is then compressed into the void will need to wedge it and possibly extend some wire or SS banding up and fit that under a tile. This will stop the mesh dropping.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back