Pitched roof next to flat roof Flashing question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having an extension built in the back garden and wanted to ask a question about briding the gap to the neighbours property.

They have a flat roof about 3 m high.
We are having a pitched roof and our front wall will be 2.5m high. Because the tiles need 15 degrees pitch we cannot build any higher. I have tried to show the wall position and roof angle on the photo. How would we cover the gap between the properties to prevent rain getting in ? Do we have to cover this gap ?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply Catlad, no gap sounds good to me. I was told that this could cause damp issues and the inspector would ask for the gap to be blocked.

Is this not true ? The gap would be around 50mm - 100mm

Sponsored Links
I think preventing any potential water damage is prudent.

My neighbour's 2 storey house is built right up against mine with no separation. It is having a third story added which will also be built right up against my existing 3rd story and the building inspector requires the virtually non-existent gap to be completely sealed to prevent any water infiltration in order to prevent damage. I also negotiated an agreement with my neighbour who needed a minor variance to build up against my house/zero clearance that requires the same thing and assigns liability to them for any potential water caused damage. To comply, the contractor is going to use a sealant and cover with a sealed flashing or membrane along the length of the adjoining walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back