clunking noise from shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Triton Excite electric shower.It`s been in about 18 months and has started making a repetitive clunking noise.

There seems to be no difference in the performance of the shower or the water flow,but the higher the temperature is turned,the faster the clunking noise.If you turn the temperature down,the noise decreases to being non existant when shower is on cold.

Took the cover off,cleaned inlet filter and tested the solenoid on the stabiliser valve-it reads 3.5ohms so I think is fine?

Put the wooden handle of a hammer on to the heater can and turned shower on-pretty certain the clunk is coming from in there,but have been advised that it`s the stabiliser assembly.

The shower was not an expensive one and the stabiliser is about £40-which I don`t mind spending if that is the problem-however,if it`s not!!

Can anyone give me any advice about this problem-I am pretty handy with most things and can tackle the job myself if I know where to look.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Took the cover off,cleaned inlet filter and tested the solenoid on the stabiliser valve-it reads 3.5ohms so I think is fine?

solenoid coil is fine or you wouldn't get any flow.

Can anyone give me any advice about this problem-I am pretty handy with most things and can tackle the job myself if I know where to look.

Thanks

yes i would say the stabiliser valve.
what is your mains water pressure reading if you know ?

the stabiliser valve is the part what the solenoid coil is on where your temp dial slots onto.

Hi Seco - thanks for your reply.Don`t know what my water pressure reading is but there has been no noticable difference in the water pressure at all.I live in a small village and usually when the water pressure drops even just slightly,the low pressure light comes on on my shower and I can`t get hot water.Besides if htis was the problem it would have been rectified by the water board by now (lol)-I`ve had this problem on my shower for about 5 weeks.

You`re the second person to advise that it may be the stabiliser so I think I`ll pursue that line-I`m curious as to know how it would cause the clunking sound.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
i wasn't suggesting you had low pressure but very high pressure as very high pressure can play havoc with electric showers.

but if you say your LP neon has come on before then i would say your pressure isn't no where near high.

so just a faulty valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back