Clutch and Dual Mass Flywheel Conundrum.

I can't believe this. Do you have a link that supports this statement ?

Firstly titanium is hugely more expensive than cast-iron/steel.
Secondly it is 40% less dense so would perform poorly at smoothing out vibration etc. compared to conventional materials.

I thought the same - my watch is titanium and yes, it is expensive.

Sponsored Links
the price of titanium on the world market is low enough that 20g in a watchcase is insignificant. I don't know today's price, but usually around $5 per kg. Iron around $0.1

I once found my neighbour mending his roof with offcuts.

But in the same way, a new BMW costs a lot more than a tonne of steel.

Titanium is much more difficult to work, and a lot lighter, so about 0% suitable for a flywheel.

Last edited:
I can't believe this. Do you have a link that supports this statement ?

Firstly titanium is hugely more expensive than cast-iron/steel.
Secondly it is 40% less dense so would perform poorly at smoothing out vibration etc. compared to conventional materials.
The link is up my dogs bottom. You are more than welcome to push your tongue in there to search for it. It might cost you a bonio though. He doesn't give out such favours for nothing.

Sponsored Links
My Kuga DMF was steel, and bloomin heavy!

20190616_085621.jpg

The one I have sitting in my office at work for our Golf is steel too. Not a grain of titanium to be had. You need a heavy mass to smooth out the engine strokes, especially on tickover so I don't think titanium would be suitable. I had a lightened flywheel on the RS engine that I built. Couldn't get it to tick over below a thousand or so as it had no ooomph to continue the cycle.

Perhaps "Titanium" is the model spec?

Ford Mondeo 2.0 Titanium

Just sayin' :whistle:

The one I have sitting in my office at work for our Golf is steel too. Not a grain of titanium to be had. You need a heavy mass to smooth out the engine strokes, especially on tickover so I don't think titanium would be suitable. I had a lightened flywheel on the RS engine that I built. Couldn't get it to tick over below a thousand or so as it had no ooomph to continue the cycle.

A bit of searching suggests they talk about them in racing circles, most suggest they only might be useful on the track, but for normal road use no. Aluminium might be more sensible, but the only useful plus point, is reducing a vehicles weight, making it rev up faster and loose revs quicker, but they whole engine runs rougher.

Well mine did the dirty on me yesterday, had to get the recovery home :(

The pedal has now gone to the floor, and it’s squealing on tickover.

bugger.
We've just had our clutch done at a smidge under a ton 60.

We've just had our clutch done at a smidge under a ton 60.
Mine is at the garage as we speak 155k on the clock, so can’t complain.

I’m banking on a complete clutch & dmf... although did notice the slave unit had also leaked its fluid... So we’ll see. (y)

Your mechanic is doing the right thing, most would do the same.
I’ve never been convinced by solid flywheel conversions myself so I would just stick to oem and it should give you many more years trouble free service with quality components.

You can, but there are downsides. The transmission becomes much more rough, more vibration and there have been cases of broken crankshafts as a result. They cushion the crankshaft's rotation as well as the transmission from the power pulses. A solid one is 100% reliable, after all - all they are is a lump of solid metal.

The DMF has a sort of rubber cushioning built into them.

We do a lot of work with taxis. When taxi drivers started suffering DMF failures and asking for solid flywheels, we ask the car manufacturer (Peugeot in this case) and they told us we could kiss the rest of the vehicle's warranty goodbye if we so much as thought of it! They said the plastic inlet manifolds would crack, the crank damper rubber would shear and probably (eventually) the crank would snap! It seems a DMF does a lot more than just provide a bit more refinement for the vehicle occupants.

On the other hand, my sister had a clutch put in her 2001 Freelander and declined the DMF replacement while it was out, because she's poor. My parents are driving that car to this very day, now heading towards 170,000 miles, and the original DMF is fine.

On the other hand, my sister had a clutch put in her 2001 Freelander and declined the DMF replacement while it was out, because she's poor. My parents are driving that car to this very day, now heading towards 170,000 miles, and the original DMF is fine.

Garages are rather too inclined to just insist that a new DMF is installed, when they fit a new clutch. They can be checked if they are within spec. against manufacturers data, but not many even consider doing that, despite how easy it is to check.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back