Peugeot 307SW Clutch nightmare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have put my 307 in for repair as the clutch, dual mass flywheel and slave cylinder needed to be replaced. The clutch had been slipping and eventually the slave burst.

1 week later and it is still not done.

The mechanic said that the clutch is not disengaging. Firstly he said that I needed a new bearing guide so he ordered one (without consulting me first).

Then he said that the clutch I supplied must be the wrong one. Later that day he said that the flywheel has the wrong offset and he needs to order a new one.

I supplied all of the parts but researched the applicable part numbers first and ordered accordingly.

My car is sat at the garage still broken, the mechanic is saying I've supplied the wrong flywheel and wants to charge me for a new one. He is also saying that he "has spent many hours on the problems regarding the parts I have supplied" so I'm thinking I'm also going to get hit with a monstrous labour bill.

My question is what should I do now?

Sponsored Links
If you are a member of the AA or RAC, contact them and ask for one of their engineers to go in and inspect the parts removed and the parts supplied. If the garage owner declines to allow the inspection, it clearly indicates something is "amiss".

Its not the mechanics fault that the parts supplied are incorrect though.....if he had supplied them then they could be returned without charge. Maybe you can do the same?
Even these days, there's often a choice of parts, unidentifiable from any engine or chassis number. You just have to remove whats needed and match them like for like. Renault and Peugeot are particularly prone to this!
John :)

I'm not surprised people want to supply parts like this, and I can understand garages being frustrated by it. However if they're wrong, surely it would be fairly obvious when the garage put them in, or did a simple line-up check with the old parts? They've only got to check them for concentricity, it shouldn't be rocket science.

Sponsored Links
must admit if i leave my car at a garage normally MOT i don't bother with parts even though i can get genuine parts for less than i am been charged for the pattern parts, A hit i take to get it done.
My clutch same s you could have got a VX kit dual mass slave and clutch for less than garage charged for a pattern parts but any mistake was his to sort and no argument later in the event of a failure. All down to him

Back