co-axial cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Ok so this is perhaps not strictly electrical but here goes.

After 22 years of loyal service our television has finally given up the will to live, however after all this time of being plugged into the back of the tv the co-axial cable from the aerial is well and truly stuck in the socket of the tv.

So I was wondering;

1) Does anyone have any ideas how to un-stick the plug, (and given the likely 22 year build up of oxidation on the connector would it be fit to use again if I got it out)

2) Assuming I cant get the plug out what is the accepted way of rewiring co-axial connectors - is it still the norm to solder the central core of the cable to the pin of the connector plug or does the act of kinking and screwing the wire into the connector suffice these days?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Not when the co-ax plug is connected directly to the aerial.

soldering the center pin is tricky to do but should improve signal if you do a good job of it.

if this is a set top arial then frankly i'd just replace it, i also wouldn't try fitting new plugs to the thin coax they make ready made patch cables out of as it is very hard to get a firm connection on the stuff.

if the cable is normal thick coax then fitting a new connector really shouldn't be a problem

as for unsticking it i'd try twisting it clockwise (so as not to unscrew the end cap) with a pair of pliers, this will likely loosen it enough that you can get it out.

Sponsored Links
Hi All,

Many thanks for all the advice,

As securespark correctly says the cable is connected to the aerial so It cant just be cut off the old TV and replaced with a new one. It is good old thick co-axial cable so may well cut off the plug and re-wire it if the twisting with pliers doesnt work.

The link to the belling lee site is excellant thanks RF lighting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back