Coal bin opening door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a plastic recycle bin (UK type with green lid if you know what I mean). I want to use it to store solid fuel pellets for my burner. Got to make a sliding (up) door at the bottom to dig out the fuel. I know I need a 'flap' inside to stop the pellets jamming up at the entrance but not sure how to design the door with slider bits at the side. Cutting out the plastic would not allow me to use it to slide up and down (too narrow). Ideas much appreciated. I can't find a YouTube vid on this. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I have a plastic recycle bin (UK type with green lid if you know what I mean). I want to use it to store solid fuel pellets for my burner. Got to make a sliding (up) door at the bottom to dig out the fuel. I know I need a 'flap' inside to stop the pellets jamming up at the entrance but not sure how to design the door with slider bits at the side. Cutting out the plastic would not allow me to use it to slide up and down (too narrow). Ideas much appreciated. I can't find a YouTube vid on this. Thanks.
You could make an auger dispenser with a bit of soil pipe and garden auger with a cordless drill .

If you want a coal bunker, you can sometime get them cheap/free on gumtree etc

Sponsored Links
I know I need a 'flap' inside to stop the pellets jamming up at the entrance but not sure how to design the door with slider bits at the side.
Do you really need the slider door? Unless the fuel pellets are really small, friction would probably stop them spilling out.

Do you really need the slider door? Unless the fuel pellets are really small, friction would probably stop them spilling out.
I think so thanks. The coal at the opening will get wet. I am going to try some ply first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back