Coffee - French Press

Sage is a an excellent machine... the Poor mans sage machine is the Breville Barista Max machine, has integrated shot timer, grinder... a bit plasticky but can be found cheaper and has the same functionality etc.

Always buy Freshly roasted beans.

Unless you like bitter coffee, try not to buy beans that are black and oily (y)

Sponsored Links
That's interesting. I'm thinking of buying a Sage.

Around £600 is that roughly what you paid?

The last thing I want to do is folk out an arm & a leg and it's rubbish.

What sort of coffee do you use?
I’ve been looking at a Sage bean to cup machine and I came across a Sage authorised resellers on eBay, they do quite a few models:

If you want the best coffee beans, I’d recommend an artisan roaster house, like rave coffee

if you like milk based coffee drinks such as latte, something like signature or Italian job blend

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
interesting, I use Black and oily beans - and get a good result - but i only get bitter when the extraction is NOT correct
I used to like strong coffee, (always bought as black as possible) since moving to decent espresso machine, lighter roasts yield nicer cups of coffee, I won't go back to strong coffees.

Coffee beans are a fruit and by the time they've been roasted to 2nd crack (longer) there is barely any flavour left.

I don't understand the concept of paying many £100s for a box with a pump and heating element in - the profit margins must be insane.

I've got one of these, it's been working reliably for about 5 years, used once or twice a day so well over 2000 cups so far. Does the job, and reasonably compact...

Tesco standard coffee seems like coffee to me. As long as it's Arabica beans and not the cheaper Robusta (bitter) then it's usually fine.

It could be worse - at least nobody's suggested one of those daft pod machines yet. Correction: I've just seen that the Sage one IS a pod machine, so very expensive to run AND buy plus ridiculously environmentally damaging.

Most supermarket beans are from Vietnam and by beans' standards, not that great quality. Hence cheap.

You can really improve what you drink looking at better beans.
That said you need a decent grinder too... not one with a blade.

I'd suggest getting someone else to make you one of each and do a blind tasting. See how much of its better taste is psychological.

As luck would have it, and as I needed to go for milk anyway, I took a look in the local charity shops, and they had a new, apparently unused French Press on the shelf, so I bought it - at just £2.49, it would have been rude not to. I am just having my second cup of coffee from it. Yes, it does taste very different to that of my electric drip machine, but I'm not sure quite how different, not stronger, perhaps more flavours and slightly less bitter, more sophisticated, especially the second cup. It seemed to keep the second-cup acceptably hot, hotter than the machine, so that may not be problem.

I use the same make of coffee, as Mottie, from Lidl - Bellarom except the ready ground, vacuum packed version.

I almost never buy coffee whilst out, from the fancy coffee shops, I much prefer my own. The worst possible option whilst out and about, is the filter coffee some sell, where it has been kept warm too long and has turned bitter.

Last edited:
FYI

Does say its a refurbished machine - NOT new
thank you, yes I realise that -they vary from "never opened" to varying levels of refurbishment.

bean to cup machines are complex machines, I get the impression loads get returned under warranty -and some get refurbished.

they come with a 12 month RTB manufacturers guarantee.

For a spankers new machine I would go to a retailer with a great return policy -as said, bean to cup machines are prone to go wrong

I have a Sage Barista express. I absolutely love it. You can customise it as much as you like or just press the button. I could do with a larger milk jug though

117922441789470.webp

Yes, it does taste very different to that of my electric drip machine, but I'm not sure quite how different, not stronger, perhaps more flavours and slightly less bitter, more sophisticated,

I've always found it hard to put the difference into words, but I think that's a good explanation of it.

The other way to make a full mug of coffee is to dilute an espresso with hot water and that tastes different again to drip or cafetière.

Last edited:
Hmm Coffee here in UK i have a Sage Bambino plus why? Its simple to use and has auto heat milk steamer. I also have the sage coffee grinder.

If i use a coffee press i have a for Bodum Coffee flask press which keep coffee hot for a good while.

In my five decades, I have never drank coffee; as a child, even the smell made me retch.

I can now eat "coffee"-flavoured chocolates (think Revels) now though (y)

Sponsored Links
Back