Coffee - French Press

I enjoy both. I like a strong coffee in the mornings, after I've had my morning cuppa.:unsure:

Sponsored Links
Pour over may be an alternative to French press
It's more technical than French press nearing espresso machines but favoured by some coffee nuts. There will be other bits and pieces around on the web. A decent grinder helps. The Sage is probably the cheapest that gets into that area but much more can be spent.

I started with a Barista Express. My son uses it now. Good machines but descaling is very important if people want them to last. If people live in a hard water area they best switch to bottled - Volvic or Waitrose - not any one that happens to be around. Some Sage manuals mention this. There are plenty of reports of their machines breaking but that is really down to them often being a first machine. A decent grinder really needs decent beans. Fresh roasted always works out. Supermarket beans can be a mixed bag. Some will just not grind well enough for an espresso machine.

:rolleyes: I went further down the rabbit hole :ROFLMAO: it turns into a mad hobby. Crap photo. Not sure why the colouring is odd on the machine. Brand new. The previous one broke and awaits a repair. It was used and I wanted a complete fresh start this time. Mess still some kitchen fit to do and stuff to go in garage.
MyDBsetup.JPG

Attachments

• SageDBect.jpg
    SageDBect.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Pour over may be an alternative to French press

A German friend gave my mum a pour over coffee maker in the mid 1970s. It's such a basic thing to do, I can't believe so many people are obsessing over it (on the internet). We used this coffee.

1675373177251.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A German friend gave my mum a pour over coffee maker in the mid 1970s. It's such a basic thing to do, I can't believe so many people are obsessing over it (on the internet). We used this coffee.

View attachment 294615

My parents still have a percolator. Was the height of sophistication when they used to get it out for dinner parties in The 60s.

A McDonalds white coffee is good for a quid a go. Don't like all this very strong stuff in thimbles.

My parents still have a percolator. Was the height of sophistication when they used to get it out for dinner parties in The 60s.

A McDonalds white coffee is good for a quid a go. Don't like all this very strong stuff in thimbles.

Now I'd enjoy a thimble of the black stuff. McDonald's do a ½ decent one. And it's about the only coffee ☕️ out there that is consistent

Like this? My parents had two of these Russell Hobbs ones but my sister has them now. Still useful for the big buffets she likes to put on.

View attachment 294621

Yes, but not as modern looking as yours. It's like tall electric kettle with fabric covered wire. Also indicator lights and heat control knob near the bottom. Must be a family heirloom, hoping there's instructions somewhere as imagine a fair bit of trial and error needed otherwise.

One of these, but in blue.

Last edited:

View attachment 294615
That tin gave me a hit of pure nostalgia; haven't seen one for years.
I can't drink perk'd coffee anymore so i blend flavours of Kenco, with a sprinkling of Beanies - enjoying the cinnamon/hazelnut at the mo'.

Those tins make excellent containers for screws and odd bits, too.(y)

OK, another blast from the past... anyone remember Cona coffee, a vacuum based affair, picked one up from the boot sale... but need some meths for the burner o_O

Cona

Forget all the machines and gizmos.

Use whatever system or method you like, but the difference is the beans

Had an espresso in a proper espresso cup this morning. I bought a set of them in Italy years ago and transported them all the way home under the seat of my motorbike.

84D5B330-DDF1-4591-A646-410A0B620C7C.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Back