Cold bathroom needs creative heating solution...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I had my bathroom refitted I made the fatal error of not fitting a towel rail with enough output, so bathroom (two outside walls!) gets a bit baltic in the winter months.
I did think to fit a bigger rad, but that's another mistake I made, I fitted a 750mm wide rad and that makes finding a replacement almost impossible.
So I am thinking creatively...I would like to get a plinth fan heater fitted in the ceiling. Flush and unobtrusive. I have even seen some with remote control, but I'd opt for a pull switch if I had to.
Would the fan heater mind being vertical and would it break any regs doing this???

Sponsored Links
Many years ago I fitted a Myson fan assisted heater, in the living room not bathroom, but fantastic output, not sure how they will work with modern boiler, maybe others can say.

There are plinth heaters for bathrooms that go in the normal position.
What do you mean by 'the normal position' (in a bathroom)? Unlike kitchens, bathrooms often (usually?) don't have 'plinths'(unlesss there is one at the bottom of some item of 'bathroom furniture'.

Trying to heat any room from above, as per the OP's suggestion, is never likely to be a particularly good idea (unless one is a fly, and spends most of one's life on the ceiling ;) ).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Do you have a bath, Im thinking about modifing the bath panel to take the plinth heater.

Do you have a bath, Im thinking about modifing the bath panel to take the plinth heater.
I thought about that when I made my comment about 'plinths', but I'm not sure that a plinth heater would necessarily fit under a 'standard' bath, would it?.

Kind Regards, John

Putting a plinth heater under a bath sounds only slightly less "exciting" than putting it in it.

Putting a plinth heater under a bath sounds only slightly less "exciting" than putting it in it.
I'm not sure that that aspect would concern me all that much (provided it would 'reasonably fit') - it is, for example, not uncommon to locate things like shower pumps under baths. ... although, as I implied, I'm not so sure about the 'reasonably fitting'.

Kind Regards, John

There are 12v low voltage plinth heaters, not a biggy https://thermix.co.uk/plinth-heaters/kph1400lv/ ... The installation manual doesn't explicitly rule out installing them the wrong way round but I'm not sure how well it would work.
What do you mean by 'the wrong way around'? Are you perhaps referring to the OP's idea of installing it above the ceiling, with it's output 'blowing down' ? If so, I can't really see a problem with that, per se - although, as I've said, attempting to heat a room from the top downwards is far from ideal, even with a fan.

However, if you are talking about 'above the ceiling, why 12 V?

Kind Regards, John

I wonder how all this complexity, cost and effort compares with fitting a larger and/or additional radiator.

I wonder how all this complexity, cost and effort compares with fitting a larger and/or additional radiator.
Although I didn't fully understand his comment, the OP wrote ....
..... I did think to fit a bigger rad, but that's another mistake I made, I fitted a 750mm wide rad and that makes finding a replacement almost impossible.
... which I took to mean that, for whatever reason, he did not consider a larger radiator to be a practical option, particularly given that he presumably knows that a radiator would almost certainly be cheaper than a plinth heater.

Kind Regards, John

I wonder if a creative solution would be to run a copper loop off the top of a towel rail...?

why can't he just fit a taller radiator, or is there a window above the existing rad?

A wall mounted fan heater would do the trick to "top up" the temperature very quickly

Fit a wall mounted infrared heater on a timer on or against the cold wall.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back