Cold bathroom needs creative heating solution...

Nor I - The main factor is the bearings, and the bearings will be horizontal, whether plinth mounted, or ceiling mounted.
I think we are all agreed that orientation is probably not an issue.
You would of course have to carefully box it in, sealed to the loft air, with insulation over the top, and ensure it only draws in warm air from the bathroom.
You will have seen my discussion about this. As I said, although it's a long time since I've examined one, those I recall having seen have all used the entirety of their 'front' (grille) for 'blowing out', and derive their air intake from back/sides of the unit. Whilst that's fine when the entire unit is within the room to be heated, it becomes a problem if it is located somewhere where the air is very cold. As I've said, with teh sort of design I'm talking about, totally 'boxing in' would not be an option, since it would deny thee fan any air intake - the 'box' would have to be somehow 'ducted' back nto the room.
In practice, I cannot see the fact that it's at a height, will make much difference to the spread of heat - air curtains work fine in shop doors, and they are not that different.
You may be right. I suppose it depends upon how 'forcefully' the air comes out of the heater. As I've said, it's all a bit different from having a 'circulating fan' within the room.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
As I've said, with teh sort of design I'm talking about, totally 'boxing in' would not be an option, since it would deny thee fan any air intake - the 'box' would have to be somehow 'ducted' back nto the room.

Exactly, which is why I said 'and ensure it only draws in warm air from the bathroom.'

The OP will need to devise some sort of grill, for the input air.

Exactly, which is why I said 'and ensure it only draws in warm air from the bathroom.'
You did - but, as I said, with the design of plinth heaters I've seen, that would not be simple - one would have to encase gthe entire unit (other than the 'front'/grille) in an airtight box, and then somehow duct the box to the room. ... and, as I said to the OP, the same if it were electrically heated.

Kind Regards, John

You did - but, as I said, with the design of plinth heaters I've seen, that would not be simple - one would have to encase gthe entire unit (other than the 'front'/grille) in an airtight box, and then somehow duct the box to the room. ... and, as I said to the OP, the same if it were electrically heated.

Kind Regards, John

Were I the OP, I would be looking to build that below the ceiling, then there would be no need for the sealing to be perfect.

Sponsored Links
Were I the OP, I would be looking to build that below the ceiling, then there would be no need for the sealing to be perfect.
That's one option, although it might not be very aesthetically pleasing.

In his position, I don't think I would give up as easily as he seems to have done in relation to installing a larger radiator - which, in many senses, would seem to be the 'easiest' (best?) solution.

Kind Regards, John

You could use a sectional aluminium radiator, which would fit the pipe spacing and give more output per unit area than steel or stainless steel rad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back