Heated Towel rail in Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting heated towel rail into my new bathroom. Obviously I will be getting the correct building regulations and ensuring it and everything else is correctly bonded out.

The cable from the heater element is quite short, maybe about 2 feet long. I would like to fit the switch to activate the heater outside the bathroom. However the heater is on the opposite wall from the door so the only way to get the heater cable to the switch is to extended it and run the cable under the floor.

Obviously this means using a junction box. Is it acceptable to fit a junction box under the bathroom floor? What if water leaks through the floor into it?

Should I run the flex from the heater through a wall mounted cable exit under the floor to a junction box. Then run suitable t&e cable to the switch on the outside wall where i also make the mains connection?

Or should I run the switch to the junction box and the mains to the junction box and wire it in a similar fashion to a light...

Sponsored Links
You need to mount a flex outlet on the bathroom wall, above the florboards. Dont have any boxes under the floorboards, as someone may want to tile the floor, rendering the boxes inaccessible. ;)

The floor will be tiled.

So I mount the flex out let in the bathroom above the floor and make the connection to T&E cable here which i then run under the floor to the switch located outside?

What happens if water runs down the wall (which will be tiled) onto the outlet and enters it?

The floor will be tiled.

So I mount the flex out let in the bathroom above the floor and make the connection to T&E cable here which i then run under the floor to the switch located outside?
Yes.

What happens if water runs down the wall (which will be tiled) onto the outlet and enters it?
Not much. Water doesn't conduct electricity easily, it will only hurt if someone touches it. It (probably) wont go bang. ;) But seriously, bathrooms up and down the country have this arrangement with no bother.

Sponsored Links
make a drip loop.

and a bit of silicone sealant along the top (but not the bottom) of the outlet plate

You could fit an RCD switched spur outside the bathroom if you want.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back