New Heated Towel Rail blows fuse...

What ohms settings do you have on the multi meter?
What output is the element?
How are you testing?
Does it have an auto null feature, if not leads resistance will need deducting.

Sponsored Links
What ohms settings do you have on the multi meter?
What output is the element?
How are you testing?
Does it have an auto null feature, if not leads resistance will need deducting.

For your reference, this is the unit I bought: http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...ay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=543386

I'm setting it to 2000K ohms which is the setting right near the bottom. The 'function' switch at the top is on the ohms setting.

I disconnected the flex from the towel rail from the connections in the flex outlet/back box.

I'm testing by placing the red lead from the multimeter on the brown cable from the towel rail, and the black lead on the blue (which fluctuates) and the green/yellow (which is a steady 1).

Not sure about an 'auto null' feature. It's a cheap device, so maybe not...

R.

Sponsored Links
try the 200 setting before testing touch both probe together, record that reading and deduct from heat element.

I changed the setting to 200.

• Touching the probes together results in a 0 reading.
    The Live to Neutral settles on a solid 00.3 now.
    The Live to Earth does nothing again. It just sits at 1.

Does that sound correct?

R.

try the 200 setting before testing touch both probe together, record that reading and deduct from heat element.

I changed the setting to 200.

• Touching the probes together results in a 0 reading.
    The Live to Neutral settles on a solid 00.3 now.
    The Live to Earth does nothing again. It just sits at 1.

Does that sound correct?

R.

No, there is a fault there. Disconnect the flex in the flex plate. Test the element side, and then test the supply side, separately. What readings?

And what rating is the towel rail supposed to be (in watts)

Didn't read your previous post properly, sorry. If the live neutral reading of the towel rail is 0.3 ohms, it is faulty.

That's not possible, though, is it?

Could you put a plug on the radiator flex and use an extension lead?

I'm sure it's been discussed, but on the VERY bottom RHS corner of the box, it looks like soot. Is it?

It looks like a plaster depth box too. :evil:

I'm sure it's been discussed, but on the VERY bottom RHS corner of the box, it looks like soot. Is it?

It looks like a plaster depth box too. :evil:

Nope - it's not soot. It was dust and rubble from the wall which I've since cleaned out after taking those pictures. The camera on my phone makes it look like that, but really the cables and everything in that area are fine. Re plaster depth box - yeah it looks kinda odd the way its done. I'm sure the builder's skimped on that when they did it all. Oh well...

R.

That's not possible, though, is it?

Could you put a plug on the radiator flex and use an extension lead?

What's not possible?

I'll put a plug on the radiator flex probably tomorrow now as I've been struggling with this damn thing all day :evil:

Very grateful for input from you knowledgeable people tho!

I'm just about to drop an email to the eBay seller to say that the unit might be faulty. Just to prepare him.

If they were to send me a replacement, I guess they would only need to send the actual heating element/flex cable assembly which unscrews from the heater - rather than going to the expense of shipping out a complete new towel rail, and me returning this one.

Hopefully they'll go for that.

R.

Does that sound correct?
If you are getting a closed circuit between Live and Earth, that does not sound too good!
I guess if you disconnected the flex of the element from the blank plate, so all that was connected was the spur cable, then replaced the fuse to FCU, it wouldn't blow.

Resistance L to N of 0.3Ω isn't possible.

That's what the meter tells me!

Could that reading be possible if the thing I'm testing is faulty? Or are you saying I'm not using the multimeter correctly (I've described how I'm testing earlier in this thread).

R.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back