Cold bedroom due to chimney vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b576/lat321/Mobile Uploads/20160320_192936_zpsm9gymecy.jpg

Hi, Would appreciate some help with a problem please.

Our 1950s semi have a fireplace in living room with chimney breast going through upstairs bedroom.

The fireplace is not used. In living room the opening is closed by putting a decorative type electric fireplace (which is not working and I have no intention of ever using the fireplace for burning wood or gas). Upstairs in bedroom the previous owner seems to have put some plywood to close the fireplace opening and then put a plastic grill. I think its plywood purely based on sounds made when I knock on the area.

Chimney is open with cowls fitted at top.

The problem I have is that the bedroom and to an extent living room are really cold all day. The ventilation grill means Bedroom practically has a small window which is open all the time. So cold air is coming in all the time. I am attaching couple of pics for this.

What can i do to improve this? I was thinking of putting a chimney balloon (chimney sheep) but I don't know if it's worth the money and effort. So would appreciate if someone can share any advice.

Secondly if I were to put it, do I put two of them, one in dining room fireplace and the other in upstairs bedroom. A daft question but I am not sure if the chimney is common between living room and bedroom. I doubt it will be common as otherwise it would have meant all smoke from living room fire when it was used would end up in bedroom. So i need to somehow open the grill opening and squeeze a chimney balloon through that. Looking at the pics, it looks like it was put on way using silicone rather than any screws.

Any other suggestions?

Ta

Sponsored Links
Count your chimney pots. Traditionally every fire has its own flue, but due to age there are often big cracks between them high up in the stack. As for your air vent, easiest way is just to plug 80% of the grooves with tissue paper (nice!). You just need ventilation not a gale. Or unscrew the present one and fit a blanking panel out of cardboard and re fit it.
Frank

Each fireplace has its own flue. There's a line of brickwork separating the individual flues, its called a feather (your's might have a local name). Smoke testing your fireplace openings will reveal any damaged or cracked feathers.
All flues should be swept clean and clear and vented top and bottom. Never block off flue venting.
The bedroom fixed vent can be replaced by a hit and miss vent.
The opening behind the electric fire could also be vented with a hit and miss vent.
Chimney sheep are for particular conditions.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back