Cold Cloakroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My gas CH system is 50 years old (the boiler is somewhat newer!) and works fine. As I refit a room, I normally replace the huge inefficient old radiators with a finned version less than half the size, no problem. Except the downstairs cloakroom. The (original) 2ft square single radiator heats up, but the room is always freezing in winter. The radiator is on the end of a long circuit, so it's always last to warm up and doesn't seem to be get quite as hot as the others. Do you think they sized it up incorrectly 50 years ago, or is it a balancing problem?

It's a long narrow room (2.3m x 90cm) with a high (3m) ceiling, and 2 cold walls. A rough calculation suggests I need 900W/3000btu. It's difficult to find a btu/watt rating for a 50 year old radiator, and I don't know the temp differential. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Do you think they sized it up incorrectly 50 years ago, or is it a balancing problem?

Sounds like balancing if it isn't getting a hot as the others. You could fit a new oversized one, with a TRV, to compensate.

Thanks Denso. I'm inclined to think it might be a bit of both. I'm just not keen on converting from a single non-finned to a double finned radiator over a concrete floor. I think I will need to offset the (half-inch) pipes by up to 50mm. Not sure I've got the skill level...

Sponsored Links
Good thinking Denso13. I think I will wait until warmer weather and replace with a double radiator. With luck, I should be able to cut the existing half inch pipes a couple of inches above the floor and use a couple of 45 degree yorkshire couplers to set each pipe out to line up with the new rad valves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back