Cold closet with air brick inside -- can I insulate it somehow?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is a 1950s brick semi-detached, with plaster directly on the brick. There are a few air bricks (right term?) around the house, including one that is inside a closet on the upstairs outside corner of the house. As you might imagine, this closet is always cold and has a tendency to grow mould in the corner, which I presume is because the door is usually closed so warmer, drier air from the rest of the house isn't circulating there. The plaster is cracked in interesting ways which I hope is also a result of the cold inside, and not a bigger structural issue.

Any suggestions for making the closet less cold? The exterior walls are themselves insulated but I was thinking of putting something on the wall inside the closet or maybe sealing off the air brick somehow.

Attachments

• mold.jpg
    mold.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 160
Sponsored Links
Mold would suggest vent is blocked as ventilation prevents mould spores settling .

I don't think it's blocked as there is a cold draft inside the closet. I was thinking that the mold was the result of the cold air coming in but there not being any real circulation in there.

Sponsored Links
Mould spores exist all over the house they only settle in cold draft free area’s.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back