Cold damp wood bought in to house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Long story short I started to build a small bike shed just taller than the bikes from pallets last August. I managed to build the base and two walls with the easy to take off boards and stored some more. These are under a tarp so cold and I assume damp. These ones I was wondering if I was to stack in my diner away from the direct heat, would my home suffer?I would ideally like to start rebuilding in 2 weeks when got some time off. I have yet more boards to take off but these are proving harder and with weather in the south west not quick as all work is done outside.

Sponsored Links
Have you checked there actually damp or are you assuming?

If you bring them inside make sure you have adequate ventilation to prevent condensation

Are you using a pallet breaker?

Have you checked there actually damp or are you assuming?

If you bring them inside make sure you have adequate ventilation to prevent condensation

Are you using a pallet breaker?
Cheers
I'm assuming they are damp . They are on a pallet slatted stacked with tarp over.

I used a pallet breaker to take the easy boards off 30 or pallets. I'm now left with 7 to 9 boards that are the carcass of the pallet block pallet either compressed chip wood or actual block wood.

Oh yeah I know the buggers you mean....

Some people punch the nails through , some use a circular or reciprocating saw , some just use brute force , whatever floats your boat!

Sponsored Links
Oh yeah I know the buggers you mean....

Some people punch the nails through , some use a circular or reciprocating saw , some just use brute force , whatever floats your boat!

I've been using a reciprocating saw cutting all the blocks in half on a pallet allow a week to dry in the shed/utility room then with pry bars take the blocks off the try my best to pry them apart. I found this easier than trying all when socked. If anyone has a easier method, let me know. I need to try to keep them full length as much as possible

Provided home is well ventilated should be fine.

I leave the windows open upstairs for like 4-6 hours with the back door open similar amount of time. Is that enough? I can't open the diner window as it blocked with pallets but back door is like 8ft away

I leave the windows open upstairs for like 4-6 hours with the back door open similar amount of time. Is that enough? I can't open the diner window as it blocked with pallets but back door is like 8ft away
Should be ok , best to dismantle while damp less risk of splitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back