Cold feed pipe blocked with fibre glass

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Was in the attic earlier attending to a separate issue and noticed the thin ply cover was resting on the water top of the water in my main tank. It was covered with the ply and a black bag type fibre glass insulation over this. The timber was starting to rot so I removed it hoping to get a new cover tomorrow or early this week. When removing bthis insulation bag, unbeknown to me some of the fibre glass insulation ended up in the tank. Tonight I went to flush the toilet and also went to use the cold water but no water was coming out!

Back up into the loft and noticed some fibreglass insulation covering the 2 outlet feeds. I removed this thinking it would solve the problem However the pipes are still blocked. I can hear the toilet cistern dripping but the taps, nothing coming from them :(

Obviously there's some fibre in the pipe somewhere. I tried blowing up the pipes as one does with an air lock but nothing happening. Any tips on what to do next.

Sponsored Links
Siphon the tank empty, open the taps and get a wet vacuum on the tank connectors

You risk pushing the fibre deeper into the pipework - it's definite you won't blow them through a cistern fill-valve and the chances of blowing it through taps are slim, especially if there are any isolation valves inline.

Best chance is to suck it out the way it went in rather than force it deeper into the pipework.

Sponsored Links
Reverse feed mains water up through the taps. Empty the CW cistern, get a hose connected to the mains and then fit it to the taps/supply pipe to the tolet and blow the water back up the pipe to the cistern. 2 man job really, when each blows clear have someone shout and bung the outlets.

You may have to strip and clean or replace the toilet fill valve

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back