Cold header tank Hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my tank in the loft is heating up (no the Heating system tank) the pipe that takes water off to the hot water tank is the causes as i can see it back feeding when either the hot water is on or the cental heating is on but I do not understand why, I have recently had the Y valve changed and a new bathroom fitted. The hot water tank was new last year. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
New mixer shower fitted we did not have one before just a bath, why what are youre thoughts

Sponsored Links
you say it only happens with heating or hw on.

sounds more like the coil poss failed.

is the f/e higher than the cws tank ?

I am sorry i dont know if its feed from tank or mains. the hot water does not seem to flow as fast now as it did before we had the mixer basin taps and shower. although i have a feeling its fed from the mains as the water from the cold tap is cold and the header tank is warm

The central heating header tank sits on the same frame as the cold water tank.

If i trimmed in the main valve to the house to reduce the pressure of the mains would this help in identifing if the mixer was the problem?

I am sorry i dont know if its feed from tank or mains.
can you follow the pipe ?

the hot water does not seem to flow as fast now as it did before we had the mixer basin taps and shower. although i have a feeling its fed from the mains as the water from the cold tap is cold and the header tank is warm
thats probably due to the min pressure the taps need to operate.

The central heating header tank sits on the same frame as the cold water tank.
is the water level higher lower than the cws.
you have to help us to help you we can't see it.

If i trimmed in the main valve to the house to reduce the pressure of the mains would this help in identifing if the mixer was the problem?

if you can see it backfilling into the tank shut the main stopcock and see if the problem stops.

on the other hand if the shower was passing cold to hot it wouldn't only happen when heat/hw on.

I can not follow the pipe as i have tiled the bathroom floor

The central heating header tank water level is lower than the cold water header tank

When i had a new tank in the summer is it possilbe that the levels of the pipework has altered causing a problem.

also would renewing the y valve cause a problem

I can not follow the pipe as i have tiled the bathroom floor
see how many feeds come from the cws.
The central heating header tank water level is lower than the cold water header tank
not a coil issue then
When i had a new tank in the summer is it possilbe that the levels of the pipework has altered causing a problem.
you had a new cws ?
also would renewing the y valve cause a problem
shouldn't do no.

shut the mains water stopcock.

I had a hot water tank not Cold water tank.

From what i can see the cold water header tank has a
1 a feed in
2 an over flow
3 a vent from the hot water tank that does not enter into the water level

then at the bottom of the tank
4 a drain
5 a feed to the hot water tank (the one you can see back filling and the pipework is warm)

So from this i presumme the cold water to the taps is feed direct fro the mains

going by that i would say your shower is cold mains.
what shower make/model is it ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back