Cold shower (Galaxy 3000 si)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, so the shower became cold this week and both the power and the auto rest lights went out. A check in a shower repair site suggested the thermal cut out or heating element, both of which have now been replaced. The reset light now comes on but not the power light, although water pumps through the shower at full tilt (as per pic). However, it's still coming out cold.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• shower.jpg
    shower.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 222
Sponsored Links
Do you have a multimeter? First job is to check there is continuity through the TCO. I know you have replaced it, but check it out.

OK. Next naive question. Continuity check with mains power connected or off? I tested it with power disconnected and, when I ran the multimeter across the TCO's wired connections, there was no buzz. To double check the multimeter was functioning, I tested across the TCO's metal base, in effect having the probes touching each other. This got a beep.

With the power off!!

If you have no continuity the cutout has tripped/is faulty. It is often easy to break these by pushing too hard when tightening the terminal screws. I support the terminals with a pair of pliers when replacing them so the screws can be tightened firmly without putting strain on the cutout.

Sponsored Links
OK. Fortunately, I DID do it with power off. D'oh!
I'll look to source another TCO tomorrow and hope that I can get it to work this time. Thanks

Thanks for the tips, guys. I've ordered a second TCO now. I think that Echo's comment about the disk is rather telling, as I may have done that inadvertently when I fitted it. Note to self: HANDLE WITH CARE.

It should spring back out again as it will be an auto reset type, but it is easy to buckle the thin metal so it never works again. Sadly I know of both the possible causes of failure I mentioned above from personal experience. :oops:

New TCO fitted this morning. WE HAVE HOT WATER! (I am so easily pleased...)
Thanks all for the input; this was the first time I got to use a multimeter, too. Never too old to learn.

I spoke too soon...
Thirty seconds into the first hot shower for a fortnight, the power light went off and I was back to I having a freezing shower again. We're getting a new bathroom fitted in a couple of months, so I may have to live with a bath and a jug to wash the hair until then, as I'm reluctant to buy any more TCOs for the shower. Frustration doesn't begin to cover it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back