Cold tap stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My cold tap to the bath has stopped working, it is also very stiff and rotates about 1 turn rather than several.

The cold tap in the sink next to it works fine.

I had a plumber in, but he said that the taps should be replaced as they are old (6 years approx), and because of the way they let the water through are not very good for the pressure (something about letting water in the side of the valve), he quoted about £250.

I get the feeling he was trying it on.

the taps look like this

deva-regency-basin-taps-104-p.jpg

Am I right in thinking that taps don't "get old" just parts may need replacing?

Sponsored Links
If you feel confident you can turn off the water at the mains and take the top off the tap. Carefully dismantle the valve assy and clean it,re assemble using a new washer and vaseline as a lubricant.

Yes, if you or a handy friend/relative could shut the water off and dismantle, lubricating the internals could work. If not, its probably new taps time.

I realise that you are in the home counties, where prices will always be higher, but £250 is quite strong. I could probably do it for £200 travelling from Bristol, and still make money! :LOL:

What a load of old drival. Valve stiff and needs regreasing or changing. Even if you changes the taps, labour at most £75, unless you want to call PimlicoPlumbers. And I'm a plumber in Surrey. :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back