Cold water lost to ensuite shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Recently had to replace the shower cubicle (but not the shower plumbing)and basin in the ensuite following a sustained water leak (there is no toilet in ensuite), but now have an issue with cold water pressure.

The shower plumbing was installed about 8 months ago and worked ok - hot pressure was always an issue as gravity fed from hot water tank in bathroom next door (same floor).

Called a plumber in to install new shower cubicle and basin. The floorboards under shower tray needed replacing as rotted through. Whilst removing these it was discovered that the original floorboard had been nailed through the inlet and outlet pipe to the ensuite radiator :eek:. The radiator system was drained down completely from the valve on the kitchen radiator (downstairs) and a valve just above the boiler (also in the kitchen). The plumber also disappeared into the loft (where the cold water tank is) but I don't know what he did up there.

Anyhow, all the tanks and radiators were refilled, and all the taps in the house work well (if anything pressure for cold water is up slightly - I think the inlet tap to the house is now slightly further open) - including the ensuite basin. However, there is almost no cold water to the shower :cry: . The pipes to this were undisturbed during the installation and worked fine before. The situation now is that the first 5 seconds of running the shower is fine, then pressure drops. Changing the thermostat to 50C+ increases pressure; dropping it to 20C results in scarcely a dribble; leaving it at 38C gives a cyclical ok and low pressure effect :( . Running the shower for some time doesn't seem to have helped. There is a red valve on the pipework leading from the cold water tank directly to the shower, but this moves less than a quarter turn and doesn't seen to change anything.

On a minor note, the hot water system is now dumping excess heat into the radiators. I assume the diverter valve has been disturbed (maybe when radiators were refilled?), but don't know what it looks like or where to find it to remedy this. My heating / HW system consists of an ACL control system, Myson pump and HWtank in the upstairs bathroom, a cold water tank in the loft and a Apollo boiler in the kitchen (downstairs). Any advice greatfully received :idea: .

Finally (phew) ;) , the myson pump seems to have a very long over-run. With neither the HW or heating on, the pump can function for 10+ hours before finally shutting off. The settings on the ACL control systme seem to work ok (ie: heat produced when required and not when not), and moving the slider on the Y-Valve has an effect on the temperature of the pipe beneath - the slider tends to return to a central position. Given that the pump does eventally shut-off, it would appear to be wired up ok. This has been an issue since we moved in last year and was not affected by the recent alterations.

Sorry for the lengthy catalogue of issues, but every change in this house seems to create another 10 issues to deal with :confused: .

Thanks in advance,
Adam

Sponsored Links
AdamNichol said:
The plumber also disappeared into the loft (where the cold water tank is) but I don't know what he did up there.
I know. ;)

The situation now is that the first 5 seconds of running the shower is fine, then pressure drops.
Is there a filter fitted anywhere?

There is a red valve on the pipework leading from the cold water tank directly to the shower, but this moves less than a quarter turn and doesn't seen to change anything.
Do you mean a valve with a red circular handle? If it moves less than 90º then it's probably a seized gate valve, with the movement being just slack in the thread.

Finally (phew) ;) , the myson pump seems to have a very long over-run. With neither the HW or heating on, the pump can function for 10+ hours before finally shutting off.
Er, that's a faulty overrun, not a long one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back