Collapsing lintel and supported RSJs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I know this issue really needs the eye of a structural engineer but I'm initially looking for thoughts on what might be involved in the best and worst cases. Just so I know where this might be heading.

I'm looking to buy an old Victorian terraced house but the homebuyers survey came back with a possible issue in the kitchen. The lintel above the back door could be damaged. The plaster above the door on the inside has blown and the render on the outside above the door has two cracks - both parallel to each other and diagonal to the door frame.

To complicate this: The back of the house is two-story and downstairs it was originally two rooms separated by a chimney and fireplaces. In the 60s, the fireplaces were removed and the separating wall taken down - turning it into a large kitchen. The chimney stack in the floor above is supported on two RSJs going across the kitchen - about a yard apart. On the outside wall - to the side return - one of these RJSs joins at the top of the wall between the backdoor and a window. However, the other appears to be sitting on the lintel of the back door - and this load could be the reason for the possible failure of the lintel.

This doors position doesn't look original - they're usually nearer front of the kitchen - so I'm guessing it was moved around the time the wall was also removed. they surveyor also thought an engineer might have issues with this door being too close to a further window at the back of the kitchen - the column of brickwork between the door and the window being about 9 inches wide.

All this was done prior to the current owner purchasing it in the 60s. He wasn't aware of the problem so it could be assumed it's new.

So, I'm looking for thoughts on whether this was common practice, what work might be required, if you're familiar with building regs - what also might need addressing. Also, if you're in the trade, very rough ball-park figures on what I can expect it to cost to remedy. (Not quotes, just an idea on what I might end up having to find).

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Hi I'm an SE. Sounds like they've overloaded whatever is in there; possibly they never even upgraded the original timber lintel...

However, if that is what it is, as long as everything is propped up beforehand, it will be relatively straightforward to take out the lintel and put a new, properly sized one back in its place. You should get out of that with change from £1k.

The only thing that slightly intrigues me is your description of the cracking. Can you post a photo?

Also, the change in loading to the foundations requires looking into and it might be that some localised underpin is required.

The door position doesn't comply with deemed to satisy dimensions and a calculation would probably not justify the wall; however, if it's standing there quite happily and has done for quite a few years, I wouldn't be overly concerned about it.

Thanks - I have some photos at home so I'll post them later this evening.

Sponsored Links
The cracks look more like blown render and plaster than anything else. May be some slight movement but nothing to suggest the lintel has 'gone'

Does the door frame head look level, and does the door close nicely without binding at the top (or having signs of being planed? When closed, is the gap between door and frame even along the top

But the only way to know is to get them looked at - you won't get the answer from a forum

That certainly looks like either a lintel problem, or failure of the bearing.

Thanks - by bearing, do you mean the surface the lintel sits on? The current owner is very amenable, so I think I'll see if I can talk him into breaking off the plaster in the kitchen on the outside wall to see what's going on under.

As for the doorway - I recall the door closed properly. I can't say about clearance, level or 'planing' - but it seemed that any movement was minimal.

Thanks for the advice.

Another possibility is inadequate packing of the brickwork above the lintel; I doubt that - unless there is a timber lintel in there - the lintel itself is failing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back