Collecting card payments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
looking into this ...has anyone tried this? www.mobilepos.co.uk
Does it do what it says on the tin?
I've nothing to compare it with so thought I'd ask around before delving deeper.

Sponsored Links
did you see / read the bit that says

"typical rental contracts have a minimum 6 month rental period and prices start at £35 per month. "

thats is typical, not what you will have to pay, and probably a % to the banks as well

I was looking at using the mobile phone option at £10/month plus charges, and yes there are merchant account fees to be paid on top of this.

I've never wanted to take card payments precisely because of these payments, but there is a certain momentum within commerce where cards are tipping the scale and beginning to leave other methods of payment behind.

I regularly have to deal with customers who think its odd I don't take card payments and have to look out their cheque book that they have not used for a long time. It would hope to also reduce the time I spend chasing up people who are slow payers.

From what I can see of this mobile phone system, you cannot input the chip & pin number.

Unless you can do this, you are not guaranteed payment :eek:

Sponsored Links
What about accepting PayPal payments? From what I can see on their website, the entry business account has no setup fee, no monthly payments and no cancellation fee. The transaction fees start at 3.4% + £0.20 Seems like a useful facility to have that costs nothing to offer. Adding a fee for card payments is not unheard of as well, insurance companies and airlines have been doing it for years. Found a useful brochure on their website. https://www.paypalobjects.com/WEBSCR-550-20090122-1/en_GB/pdf/PayPal_Email_payments.pdf

the chip and pin would be helpful but in six years of five jobs a day I've only had one cheque bounce...its the ones who can't find their cheque book on the day that tend to require some of my time chasing their payment

For more than a year we are using a mobile PDQ machine - really handy.
You have to have a merchant account (permission to accept card payments) but that has nothing to do with the equipment itself.
Mobile PDQ works the same way as 'static' PDQ that is conencted to a land-line and processes chip and pin cards.

there is another called NOCHEX i don't know anything about it other than my mate uses it for his computer business.

From what I can see of this mobile phone system, you cannot input the chip & pin number.

Unless you can do this, you are not guaranteed payment :eek:
They do have on on their website:
http://www.mobilepos.co.uk/chip_and_pin_terminal.html[/QUOTE]

From the FAQ's on their website;

Will MobilePOS support Chip and PIN?
No. This is not mandatory and you are still able to process card payments without Chip and PIN. However, if you feel you might be a target for fraud, Adelante do have a Chip and PIN solution. Please click here for more information.

Their chip and pin solution is a normal mobile terminal, similar to yours WYL ;)

What about accepting PayPal payments? From what I can see on their website, the entry business account has no setup fee, no monthly payments and no cancellation fee. The transaction fees start at 3.4% + £0.20 Seems like a useful facility to have that costs nothing to offer. Adding a fee for card payments is not unheard of as well, insurance companies and airlines have been doing it for years. Found a useful brochure on their website. https://www.paypalobjects.com/WEBSCR-550-20090122-1/en_GB/pdf/PayPal_Email_payments.pdf

Paypal should be the absolute last place to look, they are out to goose traders at every turn. When you open an account with them you have to agree(small print 28 &29) to them holding your funds for up to 180 at anytime to "protect you" from fraud. They will have you jumping through hoops trying to get your funds released. Believe me, it does take the full 180 days to get access to any of "your" money when their computer freezes your account :evil:

I now now use Streamline as yet I've not had a problem.

Sponsored Links
Back