"Coloured" people

D

durhamplumber

Referring to black people as "coloured" is deemed old school and racist...What is the current ultra pc terminology?.....""White English male" seems something to be ashamed of now,,and is automatically associated with priviledge,racism,arrogance ,entitlement etc.Some seem to spit out the words as if it is scum..

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Perhaps it's simply time to look beyond a person's skin colour and just call us all human.
A bit idealistic, i know but when this country adopted the American 'Black History Month' idea i recalled an interview with Morgan Freeman when asked about it said he didn't want a Black History Month, or a Black anything for that matter. He's a man comfortable in his own skin and able to look beyond the differences people have to the common concerns that affect us all.

"Coloured" has racist history - mainly from the USA and South Africa.
Although no doubt I may have used it in the past, certainly not since the late 70's.
We're ALL "coloured" - just that some people are a pinkish colour of even Gammon coloured.

The modern term is BAME, which covers Black, South Asian and Asian, or any race such as First Nation Americans.
It's not hard to get your head round. Obviously if you are speaking of an individual, you can use 'black" if they are black, BAME is a catch-all.

Even if you don't like the term (BAME) it's polite to use a term that doesn't offend anyone and isn't hard.
The head of an organisation that has a mixed set of professional players shouldn't make such a simple mistake.

Perhaps it's simply time to look beyond a person's skin colour and just call us all human.

Similar vein to a gay friend of mine. She doesn't think pride should happen, that there should be no need - and that she would be happier if being gay was considered no different to being straight - that it's no longer an issue for anyone.

Referring to black people as "coloured" is deemed old school and racist...What is the current ultra pc terminology?.....""White English male" seems something to be ashamed of now,,and is automatically associated with priviledge,racism arrogance entitlement etc.Some seem to spit out the words as if it is scum..
You only have to look at the old American signs - 'no coloured allowed' etc to understand why the word has for some time been deemed as racist. It's not about being PC, it's about having some respect.

Sponsored Links
When I was born, I was black. When I grow up, I'm black. When I'm ill, When I die, I'm black. But you - When you're born, you're pink. When you grow up, you're white. When you're ill, you're green. When you go out in the sun, you go red. When you're cold, you go blue. When you die, you're purple. And you have the nerve to call me Colored? - Malcolm X
I wonder what he would have made of an orange president ...

The only term that is appropriate today is Black. It's been that way my whole life, which is 46 years. I remember one of my dad's friends berating him for saying coloured, when I was a kid.

She doesn't think pride should happen

Easy to say today, but it was not long ago that being gay was a crime and frowned upon in general. Events like Pride help to not only raise awareness, but help people understand it is OK and normal. If these things stopped, people might forget ... there's certainly plenty of people that want that to happen.

A bit idealistic, i know but when this country adopted the American 'Black History Month' idea i recalled an interview with Morgan Freeman when asked about it said he didn't want a Black History Month, or a Black anything for that matter. He's a man comfortable in his own skin and able to look beyond the differences people have to the common concerns that affect us all.

I've seen an article on the independent recently, which is reminiscent of a Shappi Korsandi routine from some years ago.

Both involved trying to point out a black person to someone.

"The one on the white shirt" ; didn't work, as a number of the other people "over there" had white shirts on.
Same with "the dark hair", and so on and so on.

Certainly in the case of the Independent article, the writer eventually said "the black guy ", and claims to have been made to feel like a war criminal for doing so, iirc.

Plus, there are at least three people in my office who are "black" to some of lesser degree, yet all are more fair of skin than I am.

Tis a dilly of a pickle, as a wise man once said.

So i had a quick read as a sanity check on my reasoning and came across this article which is from a 'respectable' tabloid in this area. Please read first.

"As a black woman i hate the term 'people of colour'

https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...ce-coachella-black-lives-matter-a8316561.html

Now what i find most perplexing is the common retort from 'people of colour' 'you don't know what it's like' yet refuse to accept that too goes both ways. 'You don't know what it's like to be 'white' if you're arguing here already you're not being impartial.

We have an increasing stigma attached to White and racism. Black pride, white shame. (thats a slight exaggeration but there's an undertone of such in todays society)

Years ago in the UK (we are not american!), it seemed white people would refer to black people as 'coloured' for no other reason than being made uncomfortable pointing out they were black/brown etc, it was deemed 'polite' to refer to them as such instead of saying that black/brown/yellow person whatever. Right or wrong that was an attempt at decency.

In the article above the lady points out she puts up her hand to proclaim 'its ok it's me i am black' as the white people understandably due to the racial minority rhetoric of feeling excluded or discriminated, consciously wish to refer to the lady in an inclusive way and feel due to the sensitivities saying 'that black woman there' is calling out her difference ie not being inclusive ('we are all the same our skin colour should not be a factor') they attempt to refer to her anything other than her skin colour.

It seems ok for her the black lady to call out she's black but not for white people to point out she's black? We are supposed to be unquestionably inclusive but when she feels it's right be exclusive.

If in a room of people i would have no reservation at all saying 'over there that's Rita the indian or asian lady' But for whatever reason a slight reservation but i would say 'Rita over there the black lady' i still could have potential to feel it's not my position as 'white in appearance' to point out as such. Why do i feel absolutely no issue pointing out the indian lady. But not the black? Why is it the Asian communities in the UK don't seem to have any issues?

Cliche alert i have friends of all colours and even then i wouldn't say checkout 'X' he's the black guy there and believe me we are close enough to share good banter but i just wouldn't point him out id refer to his tshirt glasses or whatever. If he then corrected me and said 'Fest fest.. tut i AM the black guy' i would eat my shorts in amazement, i guess he might 'proclaim his colour' if he was in a room of people who he didn't like. Then you ask why doesn't he like them? Their colour? Their demeanour?

Who is creating and reinforcing this stigma? I completely agree racism has no place in ANY race. Sure ive witnessed many forms. My early experiences of racism were from blacks abusing me for appearing white.

Can someone explain above to me please, lets not approach it from you're wrong because id prefer constructive honest responses, im trying to explore what is going on beneath the covers here.

Edit to add - personally i don't agree 'of colour' 'or coloured' is the correct reference per se as technically white and black are shades. In a colour chart black and white are also apparent so in that instance 'we are all colours'. I don't feel right when the message of equality is requested yet 'of colour' has been appropriated. Has 'my history' removed my right to feel uncomfortable with that?

Last edited:
Easy to say today, but it was not long ago that being gay was a crime and frowned upon in general. Events like Pride help to not only raise awareness, but help people understand it is OK and normal. If these things stopped, people might forget ... there's certainly plenty of people that want that to happen.
I think you've missed the point :)

Did I tell you the story of the man I sold an ironing board to?

We had a big ironing board, too big, so I sold it on eBay for a tenner. Buyer asked me if I could bring it to him and meet him at the railway station car park, so I happily obliged. He told me he would be wearing a grey hoodie.

I sat in my car, waiting to see a man in a grey hoodie. Saw one, got out with my ironing board, approached him, and he looked at me like I was a crazy person. I got back in the car and waiting. Then another man walked by in a grey hoodie, I looked at him, he kept walking. Then I man pulled up in the car next to me, wearing a grey (or black) hoodie, I looked at him, and glanced back. He got out, walked over the the cash point and took cash - this was the guy, I got out there car with ironing board. He walked back, glanced at me again while I was looking at him, looking a bit concerned, got in his car and drove off. Everybody was wearing a grey/black hoodie that night!

It was now dark so I stayed out the car again with ironing board to make it easier to be seen. I waited for about 15 minutes after the agreed time to meet, and I was about to go home. Then a big guy walks out the station, about 6 foot 6, built like Schwarzenegger, and black. He walks up to me with a big smile, apologises for being late, hands me a tenner, explains he just got a new job as a chef in London and had to make sure his clothes were perfectly ironed every day, and took the board and went.

And I thought, if only he described himself as a massive black bloke.

BAME is only from a UK perspective. Globally, whites are almost a minority. Although, whoever made this diagram still put whites first!

race.jpg

"Coloured" has racist history - mainly from the USA and South Africa.
Although no doubt I may have used it in the past, certainly not since the late 70's.
We're ALL "coloured" - just that some people are a pinkish colour of even Gammon coloured.

The modern term is BAME, which covers Black, South Asian and Asian, or any race such as First Nation Americans.
It's not hard to get your head round. Obviously if you are speaking of an individual, you can use 'black" if they are black, BAME is a catch-all.

Even if you don't like the term (BAME) it's polite to use a term that doesn't offend anyone and isn't hard.
The head of an organisation that has a mixed set of professional players shouldn't make such a simple mistake.

I don't know who on on earth came up with this BAME terminology. Needs to be slapped IMO.
Why would you put Blacks and Asians in the same group under one banner? Us Asians are nothing like the Blacks. We have nuclear superpower nations while Africa still has civil wars.

I don't call my Black mates blacks. I call them Nigerian, Ghanian, etc. and that is how they introduce themselves to me as well, even though they were all born here.

I don't know who on on earth came up with this BAME terminology. Needs to be slapped IMO.
Why would you put Blacks and Asians in the same group under one banner? Us Asians are nothing like the Blacks. We have nuclear superpower nations while Africa still has civil wars.

I don't call my Black mates blacks. I call them Nigerian, Ghanian, etc. and that is how they introduce themselves to me as well, even though they were all born here.
Mine are all English so if I was it would be of Nigerian descent or whatever but we grew up together we talk about origins but as you say its not really relevant or required to point that out.

Sponsored Links
Back