"Coloured" people

I never thought of my self racist...But i am under the impression now that because I am not out joining BLM,joining in rallies,writing letters to my MP etc...Somehow I have become passive,,or even actively,racist...

Sponsored Links
I am sure all this stems from the English speaking world, for some reason, thinking that it is words that are the problem and racist or offensive rather than the people who are using those words when being racist or offensive.

That is, if we ban a word, the problem will go away. It won't; they will just use another word until that is banned.

There are 50 million Spanish speakers in the US. Is there a problem there with them using their words for, for example, "black man"? Yet English speakers deem it objectionable and are not allowed to use it.

I don't call my Black mates blacks. I call them Nigerian, Ghanian, etc. and that is how they introduce themselves to me as well, even though they were all born here.
That is interesting..why do they not say they are British I wonder?

Sponsored Links
You asked me yesterday and I replied :)
Oh sorry..missed it.Yes seen it now...That is the other thing..Our bodies are great at adapting to things..and are a bit sensitive when it stops..You strike me as very strong willed and take no nonsense....you can do it!!

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no need to offend anyone but Coloured is not the most offensive word I ever heard. Never used the the word in that context myself, Im more coloured than a black man "A ridiculous description."

However I want to know who the word police are. I hear its ok to use the word Queer now. Can we now start using the word Bent to describe a queer person. Or is that still off limits.

Im confused....

However I want to know who the word police are.
A very good question.

I don't know who they are other than social justice warriors who are offended on behalf of people who were not offended in the first place.

You may say 'bent' if you want as far as I am concerned.

S
Did I tell you the story of the man I sold an ironing board to?

We had a big ironing board, too big, so I sold it on eBay for a tenner. Buyer asked me if I could bring it to him and meet him at the railway station car park, so I happily obliged. He told me he would be wearing a grey hoodie.

I sat in my car, waiting to see a man in a grey hoodie. Saw one, got out with my ironing board, approached him, and he looked at me like I was a crazy person. I got back in the car and waiting. Then another man walked by in a grey hoodie, I looked at him, he kept walking. Then I man pulled up in the car next to me, wearing a grey (or black) hoodie, I looked at him, and glanced back. He got out, walked over the the cash point and took cash - this was the guy, I got out there car with ironing board. He walked back, glanced at me again while I was looking at him, looking a bit concerned, got in his car and drove off. Everybody was wearing a grey/black hoodie that night!

It was now dark so I stayed out the car again with ironing board to make it easier to be seen. I waited for about 15 minutes after the agreed time to meet, and I was about to go home. Then a big guy walks out the station, about 6 foot 6, built like Schwarzenegger, and black. He walks up to me with a big smile, apologises for being late, hands me a tenner, explains he just got a new job as a chef in London and had to make sure his clothes were perfectly ironed every day, and took the board and went.

And I thought, if only he described himself as a massive black bloke.

Shortly after I moved in, a black family moved in behind me. His Name was also Bod. One day I got a knock on the door by a bunch of Black lads.
"Is Bod there please"
"Im Bod" I replied.
"No the Bod that lives here"
"Im Bod that lives here"
They look at me funny.

"Is he Black" I asked
Looking at me funny even more,
they said "yes."
"He lives in the house behind"

Now they did not look too impressed with my description of Bod , but it sorted out the confusion.

As I have said before, another word that was deemed offensive to black people was calling them 'boy' - left over from when it used to mean 'servant' - fair enough but no attempt has been made to ban 'boy' for some reason.

Also, in my mind, the word 'black' does not sound very respectful because it generally has negative connotations - black arts, black sheep etc. but this is the word chosen as acceptable today. It will probably end up being banned if people use it wrongly.

There really is no logic to all this.

Sponsored Links
Back