Combi and ongoing running bath problems

You "said" to us that the plate was blocked when you said it was going hot-cold and the boiler flow temp was excessive.

Once it starts to get blocked its like necrotizing fasciitis !

So whats the flow rate?

Tony

Sponsored Links
You "said" to us that the plate was blocked when you said it was going hot-cold and the boiler flow temp was excessive.

Once it starts to get blocked its like necrotizing fasciitis !

So whats the flow rate?

Tony
Got round to it just now and it works at around 7.2 l/min, hot tap full on, but naturally no hot water.

if you adamant about using a combi that will fit in the cupboard then perhaps the remeha broag 35c or 39c would be a better choice.

I have fitted a few flexicoms and also the broags. The broags are a much better boiler with internals nearly as good as vaillants.

Price wise they are only slightly more than a flexicom.

The 39c would be able to manage about 50% more than your current boiler.

Otherwise my reccomendation would be to have an unvented cylinder fitted in the house if you had space.

The Broag is a great boiler and buy the outside weather temperature sensor.

Unvented cylinders? Not a good idea as they need a £100 a year service charge ..... they blow up too:

Water heater blasts:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=pu3FwgIHsQA
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=GF_Wrm-Ns0I

http://www.masterplumbers.com/plumbnews/2001/dec/avon.asp

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/33094_boom28.shtml

http://www2.canada.com/edmonton/edm....html?id=02acabcc-e7c4-43e4-8fe0-5c298527e2d5

http://www.abc15.com/news/local/sto...orth-Phoenix-home/7p8jpeMzcU664FSrKb_osA.cspx

2d3s6v.jpg%20

ehg7l0.jpg%20

Original.jpg

An exploding water heater ripped apart a north Phoenix home Thursday morning.

Video from Air15, near 40th Street and Thunderbird Road, showed a hole in the roof of the garage, a pile of rubble, and debris blown out into the neighborhood.

Watch the RAW VIDEO of the explosion scene

The water heater ended up on a sidewalk about two blocks away, across from a school.

Fire spokesman Victor Rangel said the temperature and pressure valve malfunctioned, sending the water heater skyrocketing.

Nearby residents were evacuated as a Southwest Gas crew and agents from Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms investigated. Neighbors were allowed back into their homes after about two hours.

Many neighbors described the sound of a bomb, with windows shattering, walls shaking, and in one home pictures falling off walls.

A neighbor's wall was damaged by the explosion, which also broke windows in a house across the street.

One woman who lives two blocks away said the blast knocked all the pictures off her walls.

Click related link to right to see a water heater explosion.

Most of the damage occured to the house next door and directly across the street. However debris from the blast could be seen in yards and on roof tops.

According to Phoenix firefighters, the owner of the house was asleep when the blast ripped apart his garage about 5 a.m.

Red Cross relocated the homeowner.

No one was injured.

Rangel said he's never seen this happen and he'd spoken to several plumbers who had heard of hot water heaters exploding, but had never seen it happen.

He said homeowners need to keep up with the maintenance of water heaters; sometimes the T and P valves become corroded or have been installed improperly.

Rangel suggests having the units checked by a professional, especially for people buying homes that have gone through foreclosure. A home bought after a foreclosure might not have gone through an inspection, especially in a short sale.

Water heater warnings and tips from the Phoenix Fire Department Most of the time, your water heater just sits where it’s been placed, quietly doing its job. But unlike your family pet, if it’s unhappy it’s not going to walk to the door and bark and scratch. It could just suddenly blow up like the one that exploded this morning near Thunderbird Road and 38th Street.

What? You didn’t know that your water heater could be so lethal? It can be if a tank has been improperly installed, if hazards have been allowed to develop over time, if it has been improperly vented, or if the pressure relief valve has been tampered with.

Here are some safety tips to use when operating your hot water heater:

TEMPERATURE/PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE (T&P)

This valve is designed to prevent a tank from exploding if temperature or pressure exceeds safe limits, by opening and venting. Unfortunately, residential valves are somewhat prone to failure. They should be checked once a year by pulling up on the handle. Water should flow freely out and stop when you let go of the handle. If it does nothing, runs or drips, then the valve should be replaced. Hooking up the drain line with a union or flex connector makes T&P replacement MUCH easier.
People don't like to test their T&Ps. But when water heaters explode, it's catastrophic. People are injured or die; buildings are severely damaged. Test your T&Ps!

Also, T&P drain lines should go down and out. Never up. If the valve opens, water will pool there and corrode it shut.
Finally, if water is running out of your T&P line, look for the cause. It might just be a bad T&P. But it could also signal high-pressure problems or a dangerously defective control. Don't ignore it!

I thought that he had gone for his respite care!

Your boiler should easily heat 8 li/min at this time of year if the plate was cleaned!

Unvented cylinders are very good but only if the mains flow rate is at least 22 li/min.

I am qualified to fit and service them. We only charge an additional £35 if its at the same time as a boiler service or repair. I dont know where he gets his £100 from!

Tony

Sponsored Links
I thought that he had gone for his respite care!

Your boiler should easily heat 8 li/min at this time of year if the plate was cleaned!

Unvented cylinders are very good but only if the mains flow rate is at least 22 li/min.

I am qualified to fit and service them. We only charge an additional £35 if its at the same time as a boiler service or repair. I dont know where he gets his £100 from!

Tony

If an all electric unvented cylinder the charge will be around £100 to the cylinder only service. When servicing "all" devices have to be tested. That mean simulating boiling, etc. That takes time.

Few service the cylinders properly.

They are best avoided as superior alternatives are available:
  • The vented heat bank

• High flow combi.

On both of the TWO unvented courses that I have attended the advice was NOT to boil the cylinder!

In any case to do that it would be necessary to bypass the safety thermostats. It would not take very long to boiler it though if it was already up to normal temperature.

Of course, you do not hold the unvented qualification!

Tony

On both of the TWO unvented courses that I have attended the advice was NOT to boil the cylinder!

In any case to do that it would be necessary to bypass the safety thermostats. It would not take very long to boiler it though if it was already up to normal temperature.

Of course, you do not hold the unvented qualification!

Tony

You have to test all the devices. High temp is ~95C. You should raise temp until the device opens.

I have no need for such course as I already know about these infernal cylinders that can take down your house.

I don't touch them with a barge pole as I am responsible. Why should I supply such potential dangerous devices and put people's lives at risk when there are superior near risk-free alternatives! See above posts by me, they are clear enough and even have pictures. What you don't understand get back to me on.

i was taught to manually open the safety valves to check they worked, boil the cylinder i don't think so,what happens if the valve is faulty 95 degrees is not to be taken lightly, in some ones house....

]Got round to it just now and it works at around 7.2 l/min, hot tap full on, but naturally no hot water.

I posted that at 9:03 am, but since then have had quests and believe or not my broadband was down for some time, so have been unable to look in.

Sorry, but I cannot see how the intervening posts are connected with the flow rate that Agile asked for. If I am dim, sorry, but simply does the rate I quoted tell anything about the actual situation, and way forward .please? :)

And BTW the estimate for uprating from 30kw to 35kw Flexicom s&f was quoted nearer £150 than £50.

Now to bed!!!!!!

My post at 1246 hours was in response to your publication of the flow rate.

If you google various boiler models you can get some on-line quotes and see the differential.

Tony

My post at 1246 hours was in response to your publication of the flow rate.

If you google various boiler models you can get some on-line quotes and see the differential.

Tony
Thanks, Respite care? With the filthy colds we had we coulkd well need it :LOL: I dont know where he gets his £100 from! I wonder if he assumed a service as well: we were talking informally.[/quote]

i was taught to manually open the safety valves to check they worked, boil the cylinder i don't think so,what happens if the valve is faulty 95 degrees is not to be taken lightly, in some ones house....

You manually open the valve to check it does open, then raise the temperature above 95C. If it does not open on high temp then there is a fault. If the temp keeps rising then you switch off the heat and manually open the valve which you know is openable. Then rectify the problem.

This is the price I got for the work to be done. Any comments on price and advice or questions thatmay need asking?
Insert central heating cleanser into system before commencing
Drain central heating system, disconnect and remove old Protherm combination boiler.
Supply a and fit Glowworm Flexicom 30CX condensing combination boiler in same position.
Supply and fit Aquadial Combicare scale reducer.
Alter existing pipework to suit.
Refill system and put in Sentinel inhibitor.
Commission and leave in working order.
Supply all relevant materials, electrics and labour.

£1,482.83 + VAT

these are horrible boilers, apparently sold by builders merchants some time ago. cheap, nasty, poorly designed and the company that made them is no more. taken over by glowworm who appear to make very little effort in supporting this make.
get rid of it, you are throwing good money after bad

I have to disagree with you here. Whilst these boilers are not the best in the world, for the cost they represent excellent value for money and can be very reliable. Unfortunately they need good regular servicing and a clean system to achieve this. Something which someone with a £400 boiler is unlikely to do! Protherm are still going strong in the Czech republic and still manufacture alot of products for the Vaillant Group.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back