Combi Boiler and Manifold CH System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Combi Boiler and Manifold CH System
Hi All.
Per the title, this is the only CH system I’m familiar with*; and it’s the one I’d like to have my understanding checked on if the experts will indulge me… Thanks.
  1. Boiler has a ‘fat’ pipe taking hot water out; and a similar pipe fetching the now cooler water back to the boiler for re heating?
  2. The ‘hot’ pipe terminates in a convenient spot (mine on the landing under the floor), and has a manifold on it with enough ports for the number of rads?
  3. Similar, with the return fat pipe, also a manifold with the same number of poerts as the hot pipe?
  4. The manifold might have (will have) thinner pipes?
  5. A pipe, say 10mm, will go from each hot manifold port to the TRV side of each rad.
  6. The same dia pipe will go from the lockshield side of the rad back to a port on the cold manifold?
  7. Robert is your father’s brother?
Am I close?
* are there better ways, or is this the norm?

PS, single zone for simplicity.

Edited to add, this is only about pipework layout, not commissioning or balancing. Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
are there better ways, or is this the norm
Yes and No

Better way is run a 22mm backbone (flow and return) out to a certain point in the site whereby the branches off to each rad will be roughly the same length - these branches will be in 15mm pipe - this system will be the most efficient in heat up times and will ensure the system flows well, is very serviceable and will be balanced easily.

22mm to manifolds and then 10mm out to rads is much easier to run, is easily DIYable and quicker/cheaper to install. Smaller installs favour this design (flats, etc)

Sponsored Links
Thank you both for the replies. Appreciate it.
22mm to manifolds and then 10mm out to rads is much easier to run, is easily DIYable and quicker/cheaper to install. Smaller installs favour this design (flats, etc)
I should have added - it's slower to warm up, has a limit where larger systems and radiators are needed to be fitted, balancing becomes a lot harder and the system water needs to be maintained properly otherwise it can/will sludge up and become restricted quicker, especially with longer runs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back