Combi boiler central heating problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a Worcester cdi rsf combi boiler, it is I'd say 8-10 years old. Today the heating didn't come on this morning. It has a little clock on the front, that has a dial with arrow pointing and a switch on it that goes from 0 to I. It is on I for clock on.

I am suspecting the clock to be faulty. But when fault-finding it seems a bit confusing. I have removed the mechanical clock from the boiler, removing the 4 wire links from it (with it turned off of course).

The is a permanent live and neutral connection to the M connections. And a switch connection between the other 2 terminals, 5 and 3.

When testing for continuity the meter always buzzes and shows 0 resistance. Which I am confused about, as surely that means it's OK? It seems to buzz and show 0 resistance on all settings :oops:

How does the clock work? I'd have thought it made continuity at the set times ie between 6 and 8 when the black clogs were set?

Sponsored Links
Presumably you are checking continuity between 3 and 5.

Check continuity with the switch set to 0; it should be open circuit (infinite resistance).

0 normally means boiler permanently OFF, and 1 that boiler is permanently ON. There should be an intermediate position (sometimes called Auto) which means that the boiler goes ON and OFF according to the times set on the clock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back