combi boiler in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm seriously thinking about putting my new boiler in the loft as we are really tight for space in the kitchen (the only other alternative is the box room). I've had mixed opinions on this from the big companies and local fitters, BG were happy to take it on and run the flue up the chimney with the boiler on the chimney breast - local guys weren't keen on the idea though. The main concern beyond the actual installation would be that we may have a big dog leg of cold water to run off each time we turn on a tap, and whether the pressures would be sufficient. It's a three bed 1940's semi with hipped roof, so no gable end to go through (could it go straight up through the roof?). New supply pipe is going in so should get a decent mains pressure, I thought running 22mm right up to the loft then going down to 15mm in the loft space should be OK? The loft option with BG would cost me an extra £2K on the price, but would be worth it if the system worked well. The whole house is being renovated so mess/pipe runs not a problem.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If it would be worth an extra £2K then go for a Megaflo installation instead!

True... problem is we have a limited budget and I'm finding it hard to get my wife round to the idea of spending more on the boiler and less on the curtains!

Why not phone around your local Corgis who advertise in the local paper.
A lot cheaper than BG :D

Sponsored Links
....so many cows out there churning out yoghurt, found one that only gives me cream ;o)[/u]

The loft option with BG would cost me an extra £2K on the price, but would be worth it if the system worked well.

Sorry I must have misread the above

BG were happy to take it on and run the flue up the chimney with the boiler on the chimney breast

What??

There's nothing special about BG's abilities or preferences, that doesn't make sense.

WHat's all the bother about pressure about, it makes no difference where the boiler is. It's only half a Bar off a ground floor site. You can put the boiler near the slope of the roof and put the flue out sideways if you want. Best route for the gas might be up the outside of the house, depending..

Don`t think you will find a picture of what you are suggesting chris in any of the manufacturers instalation instruction of recommended flue terminations

chrisr is right about flueing sideways through the pitch of the roof the manufacturers cannot cater for every location but a quick phonecall normally clarifies what you can do,worc allow this type of installation if the flue length will not exceed their max length,weathering it is a doddle if you know how.been to plenty flued this way and no probs unlike some vertical flue kits which leak from day one

Yes you're both right, well spotted.

My first boiler replacement's flue was sideways from an attic room so I called the mfr (baxi -p) and corgi, who are happy. Bit surprising perhaps in view of how high a vertical would have to be.
Ideal (Icos) wanted vertical, now I recall. So worth a call every time.

Cheers guys,

I've arranged for a guy who fit worcs b's to come and take a look on Thursday so I'll soon find out if the horizontal flue option in viable. I'm hoping to get this done quickly before any byelaws come in about condensing boilers, I don't fancy having a condensate pipe running right down to a drain from the loft - bound to freeze up?

ANyone know if condensates are allowed to dribble into gutters?

They can be fitted directly to a soil stack.
We had a short lesson on condensers last week and this was mentioned.
A 22 mm adapter must be available for a boss fitting. :D

I've put them into soil stacks - an adaptor is available. BUt it sounds attractive to shove it through the tiles, to the gutter!

typically my soil stack is the furthest it could possibly be from the proposed boiler location, not a problem but I'd have to take it outside and round the house to have a fall on it. Other option would be a sloping pipe right accross the loft space (unless they can run horizontally for 5m??)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back