Combi Boiler Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear members,

I have a Gravity based Hot Water and Pump based central Heating system which works just fine. However, we need more storage space in house (since ours is a flat roof), therefore we are thinking of getting rid of following three:

1. Big cold storage tank on the top floor placed in the top of a cupboard

2. Big Copper tank in a cupboard downstairs.

3. Small feeder tank in a wardrobe upstairs, although this is not essential, it can remain where it is at the moment.

Based on the information I have learnt so far, combi boiler seems to be the best bet for me.

How many of these tanks would I be able to get rid of if I get a combi boiler??

How much would a replacement boiler cost? I mean cost of combi boiler and its installation cost. Please bear in mind that most radiators are set in house and won't need any repleacement, same can therefore be said about the copper pipes as well.. Would I be able to get anything for my 10 year old IDEAL VULCAN boiler and pump?

I live in a 3 bed terrace house with 7 radiators in Basildon, ESSEX.

Would really appreciate some tips on which combi boiler to go for and which company/ websites sell them. Also some tips on installation costs would be great.

P.S. I've learnt that some company in ESSEX does combi boiler + 7/8 radiators + copper pipes + installation for for around £800. Does anyone know who they are, their contact info etc...

Sponsored Links
I am interersted in this too. I also have a flat roof and we desperately need ore space. I would love to be able to get rid of the water tank that is in the most inconvienent place.

Is this no tank boiler system more expensive than the conventional method?

Dont be fobbed off with a crap boiler expect to pay (for a quality not cowboy installation around £2,500) you will lose all the tanks cylinder etc you must powerflush the system & probably change rad valves to accept up to 3 bar pressure.Also insist that benchmark booklet is FULLY completed by installer or you will be shafted in future by manufacturers if water is left dirty.As for old vulcan you will need to pay someone to take it away

Sponsored Links
a combi boiler (now condensing) will rid you of all your tanks, both cylinder and Cold water tanks and your CH feed & expansion. As said before, Combi boilers are "Sealed system" and the system will be under pressure. Your valves may be ok as if your system is roughly ten years old the valves would i pressume be the same age and all valves are/were tested to at least 10 bar, some may leak some may not, but ther'e not expensive to exchange.

look on manufactures web sites:
idealboilers.com
worcester heatsystems.co.uk
baxi.com

you get pretty good advice on these sites. I would always get BG in to give you a quote at least. It'll set your benchmark.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back