Combi-boilers, condensing combi-boilers

oilman said:
I can understand your distaste for the gas fire, what about a conventional boiler instead of a combi? Cheaper, and even more so in that you keep all the original pipework (except for leaky bits).

Do they come in high efficiency format?

Sponsored Links
Paul Barker said:
otoh a 8 year old back boiler is barely run in. Probably needs a service and a thermocouple, and the wallpaper cutting off the 100cm squared vent.

The right bloke could probably have it working like new for £60.

Your prospective combi might save you 100 to 150 a year on gas, but if you do a net present value analysis you are probably looking at a pay back period greater than the expected life of todays boilers.

I know which side my butters breaded on.

Of course it would be very nice for Tony's world statesman face if we all obliged him by helping industry polute the environment burning fuels to smelt metal for new boilers.

Yes, you're right. Would be very interesting to see which one is more environmentally friendly in the end!

Yes, all new gas boilers have to be condensing, as for environmental friendliness, keeping the existing one going will use less of the world's resources overall.

OK, thanks.

Tomorrow I'll ask the CORGI man about all my options and might come back on he forum with more questions.....LOL

Anneke

Sponsored Links
I have had my boiler 4 or so years and after some lock out teething problems it worked ok up until recently when it died and all it does is show a green light and no fan etc. Manual says it is likely to be the Control PCB at £130. I have read postings in this section over the past few months and have noted a lot of problems with this boiler which have made me reconsider trying to get it fixed.

The burner also looks a bit ropey - anyone know how long these are expected to last?

There is also a bit of a leak on the top flow pipe (the one with the flow switch)

I think that I have been fairly lucky so far as the only bits I have replaced is the electrode kit.

I have also noted a design fault with the 24v cables coming back fromthe transformer, these are only single insulated and both have had the insulation melted down to the metal on the side of the boiler casing.

Some people have mentioned the life of the PCB's due to the high temeratures in the casing, mine might have lasted longer due to me leaving the outer casing off as the boiler is located out of sight.

Should I cut my losses now?

attn. heathrobinson

Perhaps you should post this in a new thread in the plumbing and central heating forum. People might not notice it here.

Anneke

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back