Combi-boilers, condensing combi-boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Looks like our back-boiler is on the way out. It can possibly be repaired, but since we inherited it from the previous house owners and it's 8 to 10 years old, we have decided to get a combi-boiler instead. I have been doing some research on the internet but there are so many systems out there, that I'm very confused. Therefore, I would appreciate if anyone can give me advice/recommendations.

We live in a 3-bedroom terraced house and have radiators in each bedroom, 1 in the kitchen (which we want removed), 1 in the hall, 1 in the upstairs bathroom, 2 in the dining/living room. If possible (it seems awkward as it's not in the radiator line if that makes sense) we would like to add a heated towel rail in the downstairs bathroom. There is also a baxi gas fire, which we want to replace with a woodburning stove, which will only be used to heat up the livingroom.

From what I've read when replacing the backboiler with a combi-boiler the water tanks in the attic will be removed, the storage tank (in an airing cupboard) will be removed and a boiler will be placed elsewhere in the house.

Would it be possible to have a combi-boiler in an airing cupboard (where the storage tank is now)? The airing cupboard is in the middle of the house and is not bordered by any outside wall.

Also, is a condensing combi-boiler a good idea with regards to efficiency, cost-savings ratio etc.

Finally, can anyone recommend a boiler system for our above mentioned circumstances please.

I'm sorry I have so many questions, it's just that I haven't got a clue about boilers and am afraid to be taken for a ride.

Kind regards,
Anneke

Sponsored Links
The boiler can go in the airing cupboard but will probably need to be flued vertically through the roof. It may be a better option to put the boiler up in the loft if possible.

It is not an option to get a high efficiency boiler in most cases - you have to have one unless you qualify for exemption. In practise no house will, just some flats.

ArtfulBodger,

Thanks for your reply. Airing cupboard would be better as it gives much easier acces. We have a very shallow loft with a tiny access hole, so I think it will be very fiddly to fit. The airing cupboard is right under the loft and since the the loft is shallow, I guess it may not take that much extra piping for the flue.
Thanks again,

Regards,
Anneke

Some terraces would be exempt, though I wouldn't go that way unless the flue or drain were a real pain.

Sponsored Links
ArtfulBodger,

By high efficiency boilers do you mean the condensed ones? And are these local/national government regulations?

Thanks,
Anneke

anneke said:
ArtfulBodger,

By high efficiency boilers do you mean the condensed ones? And are these local/national government regulations?

Thanks,
Anneke

Yes, condensing ones. By order of the Deputy Prime Minister.

ArtfulBodger said:
anneke said:
ArtfulBodger,

Thanks,
Anneke

Yes, condensing ones. By order of the Deputy Prime Minister.

Thanks for that, less boilers to choose from now then .....LOL

Anneke

baxi are giving 5yr or warrenty on their latest boilers that not to be sniffed at. Usually when i'm asked i say valiant everytime but 5yrs is a fair old time

otoh a 8 year old back boiler is barely run in. Probably needs a service and a thermocouple, and the wallpaper cutting off the 100cm squared vent.

The right bloke could probably have it working like new for £60.

Your prospective combi might save you 100 to 150 a year on gas, but if you do a net present value analysis you are probably looking at a pay back period greater than the expected life of todays boilers.

I know which side my butters breaded on.

Of course it would be very nice for Tony's world statesman face if we all obliged him by helping industry polute the environment burning fuels to smelt metal for new boilers.

Bloody hell, 8 years old, fix it, keep it, spend any money on getting system controls upgraded to make it run as economically as possible, certainly last longer than any combi your gonna fit.

Ways to save money are thermostatic valves on radiators (but only if you let them control the temperature). Fit programmable room thermostat, preferably with optimising control. Many plumbers seem not to fit them, and fit only the standard programmable stats. The optimising type will alter the start and stop times of the boiler so the house is at the temperature you asked for, WHEN you asked it to be. This can pay for itself in a couple of years (and even faster if this winter's predictions are to be believed.

Combi boilers, be aware that if the boiler stops, you have no back-up for hot water. These tanks are useful, as an immersion heater means you still get hot water. Even if your electric goes off you will probably have some hot water stored.

Thanks for all your comments/advice.

Gives me plenty to think about.
We've got a CORGI man coming over tomorrow, so I will ask if he can give me quotes for the repair of the backboiler and for installation of a combi-boiler, and then see which one is the best option.

I'm still in two minds, as no matter what, I want to get rid of the hideous gas heater that goes with the back boiler.

I forgot to mention that there's a very slow leaking pipe as well, which we discovered after knocking out the built-in areas next to the chimney, but I guess that's easy to fix. Don't know whether this was a bad soldering job, or if this happens often. Don't fancy redecorating every so often.......

Thanks again
Anneke

I can understand your distaste for the gas fire, what about a conventional boiler instead of a combi? Cheaper, and even more so in that you keep all the original pipework (except for leaky bits).

supermario said:
baxi are giving 5yr or warrenty on their latest boilers that not to be sniffed at. Usually when i'm asked i say valiant everytime but 5yrs is a fair old time

Thanks for the tip Mario!

Anneke

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back