Combi boiler not firing up. Its freezing!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would normally get a plumber in but can't get one till friday and its monday, so am going to have to see what I can do myself. any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Its an ideal response 120 combi boiler.

Basically. The power light is on but its not firing up.

It does not have a pilot light.

There is a small leak from one of the radiators.
The pressure gauge is just off zero.
There is no water at all coming out of the hot taps (the cold taps are fine).

I’m guessing the problem is something to do with water pressure. I’ve printed of the instructions and have had a fiddle with the ‘cold in valve’ but that didn’t make any difference. I should add the water and gas supply to the house appear to be ok. (Gas hob and cold taps are working.)

Any advice at all would be much appreciated.

Lawrence

Sponsored Links
Combi boilers do not operate if system pressure is below.6bar

find your filling loop and top up the system.

I did and it worked. Thanks very much.

But, while it was broken the hot water taps stopped running. and they are still not working even though the CH is working.

any suggestions?

Could it be frozen pipes?

Sponsored Links
When you let the pressure go low on this model sludge blocks the small hole to the low pressure senser. You were veryt lucky to get away with it, don't let the pressure drop again.

Why your how water doesn't work is probably unrelated, unless you have done something really stupid while trying to use the filling loop and turned off the valve where the cold supply goes into the boiler without which it can't give out any hot water, as it has no water to heat.

If your low pressure sensor does block the symptom is that you have low pressure yet the guage says you don't. Thanks to Ideal's wonderful ideas on boiler design the sensor has to be gripped by it's body for removal and cleaning out of the hole (after draining, or do it live for fun). Seriously I change wet thermisters and such like live if my assessment of the situation is that a small brief shower of heating water would be acceptable to all present and worth the time saving.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back