Combi Boiler PRV pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a service engineer out to my boiler and he has given me a warning notice to say that because the PRV pipework is run from the boiler to outside in speedfit pipe and connectors it is at risk of melting in the event of a blowout and should be only installed in copper ? I believe that as speedfit is used extensively in central heating systems the exact same stresses and temperatures would apply throughout the heating system as would apply to the PRV pipework at the point of blowdown and therefore I believe there is no risk,can anyone help ?

Sponsored Links
He is quite correct, PRV pipework should be copper unless the manufacturers instructions specifically say that an alternative may be used. Apart from the condense pipe (if you have one) there should be no plastic pipework or fittings at all within one metre of the boiler.

The temp of water blowing out would be far higher than normal working temp as it would be under fault conditions
ie getting far hotter than usual and as i would be coming from being under pressure it would be turning to steam as it exits

has anyone actually had this happen? i've never seen the like in my experience.

Sponsored Links
Although he may be correct as far as the regs go (I don't know) but surely the fact that the PRV pipe is open ended, so to speak, after the PRV has operated, the PRV pipe is only acting as a conduit for the safe dispersal of the water under pressure

Although he may be correct as far as the regs go (I don't know) but surely the fact that the PRV pipe is open ended, so to speak, after the PRV has operated, the PRV pipe is only acting as a conduit for the safe dispersal of the water under pressure

You go argue that with the people who make the regs then, maybe they'll change them for you. Regs are regs, we are here to abide by them, not fight them or ignore them as we see fit. Whether your point is valid or not is, I am afraid, irrelevant.

somebody please quote the reg your refering too. :?:

somebody please quote the reg your refering too. :?:
Boiler must be installed according to M.I. and every boiler I have ever seen said copper prv outlet.
GSIUR also requires adequate materials and workmanship. PRV could potentially let out 110 - 120 degrees C, for which normal pushfit stuff is not sufficient.
Similar thing as GSIUR not explicitly stating that you can not hang a boiler with two 3 x 40 screws, but I would consider it at least AR if I found one like that.

Ben your quoting the MI's your used to and not all tell you the material(i can name at least one that doesnt tell you to use copper)

But i want to know the reg,seeing as prvs come under a bs for their design,operation and installation someone must know.

while we're at it can anyone quote the reg regarding PRV termination.

Next question will a PRV operate above 95degs(before you say it yes i mean PRV and not TPRV) as most high limit stats will have stopped the boiler reaching the temps quoted.

so with that in mind if we can know run TPRV's in plastic why cant we run PRV's in plastic from an air break onwards.

They can bed run in plastic but needs to be the proper type not speed fit hep or overflow pipe.

They are a third line safety device after boiler stat and limit stat fail so yes it is expected to have waterabove 95 degrees admittedly this is very rare but is that not what safety standards are for in this case ie the rare occasion

...Next question will a PRV operate above 95degs(before you say it yes i mean PRV and not TPRV) as most high limit stats will have stopped the boiler reaching the temps quoted.

so with that in mind if we can know run TPRV's in plastic why cant we run PRV's in plastic from an air break onwards.

I do remember something about various alternatives, like plastic that is heat proof to above 120C, and air break/distance/increased diameter options.
I got the distinct impression that op refered to prv outlet in normal pushfit, and run in the same way as one would/should run copper.
Granted, he did not spell this out.

You lost me on the PRV/TPRV, be so kind please...... :oops:

ben the op did say speedfit but some others then jumped in with it always has to be copper and the regs say so.

speedfit,hep etc no.no.no. high temp plastic is normally pushfit,terrain will send a tech support document as there products are also capable.think vulcathene is also capable.

ben the op did say speedfit....
$hit, do I have a problem reading or remembering? Must be the reading, can't recall noticing an increase in things that I forgot lately.
Speaking of which.......
Tprv vs prv? Pretty please, sugar on top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back