Combi Boiler - Won’t fire in Winter Mode

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We have a combi boiler in a property that we rent out.

The tenants have had the boiler in summer mode for a while for HW. The boiler has been working great.

They’ve switched over to ‘Winter’ mode now for heating and hot water but the heating won’t come on with the timer or even in on. There is no hot water either in winter mode. Switch back to summer mode and the HW works again.

Any ideas? Does it need to be left for a period in the new mode or should it work straight away?

I have BG homecare so can get an engineer out sometime this week. Just wondering if there was something we could do meantime.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
No, it should work straight away. Are the controls definitely calling for heat? Is there a boiler thermostat for the heating side that has been turned down? What make/model of boiler?

Last edited:
Hold on I will just get my crystal ball out , what boiler, what controls ??? just press the magic button

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
It’s an old Heatline C24 I think the model is.

There’s no external controls, only the timer at the boiler.

I tried it in timer mode and also just on and left it for a few minutes but the heating didn’t fire. I tried for HW and it didn’t fire either.

I put it back to ‘summer’ mode (ie HW only) and the HW worked fine and then flicked it over to ‘winter’ mode and the HW ran cold.

Sponsored Links
Can you post a “live” photo of it (what I mean by live is, not a photo of someone else’s)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back